Author Topic: lupron induced growth  (Read 8092 times)

Offline intexas

• With prostate ca treated with lupron got gyne.
I am an older guy - approaching 79.  As I grew older I realized that my breasts had grown - mild gyne.  Three years ago I was diagnosed with prostrate cancer.  At that time I started a two regime of lupron therapy (30 mg every 4 months). I had my last injection a year ago.  Lupron, an LHRH agonist, turns off testosterone production in the testes.  In the last couple months I have begun to realize that my breasts were growing slowly - ache and warm.  I am surprised that after a year from last injection I would be growing.  Obviously at my age I will live with whatever size I get to.  If I was younger I would have greater concern.  I wonder if I will get to a size where a bra becomes mandatory.  I could now but not necessary for support.  I believe most men as they age get breast enlargement as their testosterone levels decline. I suspect most learn to live with it.  I see many older men with some degree of gyne and obviously  don't mind being seen with it.  Of course the majority of those with more severe cases are overweight.  For me living with gyne is preferable to the alternative.  My curiosity is now is: how long will I continue to grow.

Offline Anon E Mouse

• Bronze Member
From what I've read it seems possible that as your body slowly begins to produce testosterone again, it may be converting a portion of that testosterone (aromatization) into estrogen. My body essentially stopped making testosterone but my breasts didn't grow. As I began to replace the testosterone due to the negative side-effects of having very little, my body began to convert some of the testosterone into estrogen and I began to grow breasts. My understanding is that mine will continue to grow, and that family genetics will play a part in their ultimate size as it does with women. Fortunately, it also appears that men who begin to grow breasts later in life don't generally grow them quite as large as they would if they had started much earlier. It's good that you seem to have a balanced perspective on this issue. That is something that comes with age. The younger guys here are understandably far more concerned with their appearance than most of the older guys seem to be.

The first thing I would do is speak with your Dr. and have him/her send you to an Endocrinologist to specifically identify the imbalance that's causing the growth. Perhaps they can correct that imbalance and, if they catch it early enough, might even be able to reverse the growth.

Offline intexas

Lupron is supposed to be reversible.   However at my age I don't that it is.  There are reports that its effects on testosterone production can last five years.  Basically it acts like a chemical castration agent.  The adrenal gland produces testosterone as well as  estradiol.   The latter is produced from testosterone by an aromatization reaction.  Likely occurring in the breast tissue.  The degree of breast growth will be dependent how the number of estrogen reception sites, their distribution and the degree that they are active.  Most like this is less than if I were younger. 

Offline Anon E Mouse

• Bronze Member
Well, you seem to have a detailed understanding of your circumstance. My comment about reversibility was in regard to the growth of your breasts, if the underlying cause is discovered and treated quickly. I suspect that you may already know that given your understanding of the mechanisms involved. Therefore, you should already either know, or be able to deduce that your breasts may continue to grow as long as the underlying cause remains undiscovered and/or treated.

Lupron in not likely to be the issue itself. You may simply be experiencing the effects of your body beginning to produce testosterone again. Your body may just be reacting to that. It may also be some other hormonal imbalance at work. Either way, a trip to the Endocrinologist is in order to find out what's going on.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I don't know why the pharmaceutical companies have to beat around the bush so , but they list breast tenderness and breast swelling as side effects. There are a number of side effects listed for Lupron, there is no doubt that it is a very potent drug.

I'm certain your Doctor was well aware of the potential effects. It is difficult and the Doctor always has to weigh the potential for adverse effects against the desired good that a drug offers. In the case of cancer, the alternatives are not always acceptable.

I'm sorry to hear of what brought you to us, but welcome aboard in any case.

By the way, for a long time I have been the old timer here but you have me beat. I am 73.
Grandpa Dan

Offline intexas

As you say they don't list gynecomastia per se.  However the purpose of lupron therapy in prostate ca is to reduce the testo level to that of castrate.  So one should anticipate all the side effects that would result from being castrated.  Gyne is one of these.  There are many estrogen and androgen receptors in the bodies of both men and women and these do have a function.  Some are not even understood.  Relative levels of  estradiol and testosterone in older men and women nearly the same, as they are in young girls and boys.   People produce less of these hormones respectively as they age.  Some then take HRT - however with prostate ca one would not want to augment testo levels - the purpose of taking lupron. 

I have experienced the most common effects listed for lupron (or castration).  The most troubling for me at my  age is the change in the skin - becomes paper thin.  Need to be extremely careful to cause abrasions and easy bleeding.  In terms of breast growth I suspect they have been growing but only recently did I become aware of that.  Growth doesn't occur overnight - even with young females.  To me now large breasts is a cosmetic issue - of greater concern is any changes internally.  Being close to 79 changes ones perspective on things.

Offline pat

• Posting Member
My experience with breast growth over the past 9 years is that it fairly slow, but mine reached the point that I need the support of a bra as they had become very uncomfortable and were cause a shoulder ache  (after a Rota cuff reconstruction).
These days my bra is just a part of my, the 1st thing that I put on in the morning, and the last time that I thing take off at night. (My age is 71).
I did have a Doctor offer to have my breasts removed which I declined :) :)
Patricia

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024