Author Topic: What should my spouse tell his co-workers  (Read 7431 times)

Offline SupportiveSpouse

My husband just had the surgery and will be going back to the office in a few days.  The compression garment will be obvious, and his inability to lift anything or maybe even raise his arms for a week or two will also be noticed.  He's been embarrassed by his condition for a long time, and even though he gets that the surgery was a good idea, he's not comfortable telling people he's had it.  What should he tell them? Is there another surgery that would have a similar side-effect?  Any ideas? Stories to share?

Offline nitrox987

• Bronze Member
I told my friends and coworkers I pulled a muscle in my back. It worked well.
He could also say he had a benign tumor removed from his chest.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
I'm surprised that the compression garment will be obvious; usually it is not.  I don't have any good recommendation for you.  I know the condition is embarrassing for most guys, but people for the most part are understanding.  Maybe he could just say something general, like, I had surgery on my chest and can't lift anything heavy.

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline SupportiveSpouse

The top of it was visible when he put his shirt on today at the doctor's.  I guess he could button his top button, but it's not a top button kind of office. 

I don't like the idea of saying anything about "tumors" benign or not because it just worries people. 

Offline nitrox987

• Bronze Member
He could use the word "growth" instead of "tumor" and he will not even be lying.
You could also say something general as suggested by Dr. Pope but people might ask for more details.

Offline Freedatlast

• Posting Member
I am one week post-op and am telling everyone that I hurt my back. Nothing specific, just 'hurt'. If they need more info, I say that I pulled a muscle and need to keep my back supported at work. Them seem to be buying it.... :)

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I often tell my patients to use the following excuse (and only if completely necessary, for it is truly of no concern of others)

"I pulled a rib muscle (or cracked a rib) and the doc put me in this bandage."  Works every time.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
My wife and I have had to think about what to tell my co workers as well.  I own my own company with 3 other partners, and we all share equally in duties around here (which often include heavy lifting).  Since I won't be able to participate in any of that for at least 4 weeks, I gotta come up with a good excuse!  Fortunately (or unfortunate, depending on how you look at it), I have dislocated my shoulder in the past...twice.  I may use the excuse that I am having issues with that, and the orthopedic surgeon has recommended that I do nothing stressful while I let the "shoulder" heal up.  Hopefully my co workers don't ask why I'm not back in a sling!   :D
Shakenbake baby, SHAKE N BAKE!!  Ya, that just happened.

Offline cms5402

• Posting Member
I told friends that I was having benign masses removed from my chest.  They were all polite enough not to probe and were very supportive post-op, bringing me soup and coming over to just visit.  I think most people won't pry into your medical details if you offer them a tiny explanation or say you don't want to talk about it.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024