Author Topic: Bras: Utilitarian vs Fashion  (Read 7053 times)

Orb

Having replaced a few bras recently I purposely collected a few that were more fashionable rather than utilitarian.  We don't often use the word fashionable.  At least I haven't.  Although at times we like to dress rather smartly, the undergarment has tended to be...basic.  Having purchased a new nice lace underwire minimizer, I have felt better within.  I see in photos that many here have also.  It feels good, makes me feel good and I quite like the looks of it.  For the fashion side of it I was also very happy in how I looked.  I stopped to a friend the other day.  Haven't seen her in a few months.  Her first words were, your looking GOOD! 
  What we chose to wear underneath makes us feel better and also present nicer.  confidence gained.  

Offline blad

My bra styling tends to the simple and clean "basic". I was always more attracted to an unadorned design and purposely avoided more embellished bras.

I think this also fits well with my wife who is supportive of me wearing a bra daily and washes them for me and puts them back in my bra drawer. If I started adding "lacy" bras she would likely wonder in her mind if this crosses the function / fetish boundary. 
If the bra fits, wear it.

Orb

Blad,  I do understand what you said and where you are.  For me it wasn't a fetish thing so much as a bra that was thinner, cooler and allowed my outer clothing to be less clingy. The minimizer and thinness is great!

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
It could be a case of overthinking it. Just like clothes, there’s a wide variety of bras too. From utilitarian to the come and get me sexy with a huuuuggge variety in between. Some days I feel like a nut, some days I don’t and choose my dress accordingly.

Confused old man

Mine are utilitarian, I’m not opposed to fashionable bras. If it makes you feel good.....do it!...life is short. I’m sure my next bra will have some frills😃

Busted (and happy)

Why bother with the question?
Wear whatever works or pleases - preferably works AND pleases

Orb

Busted (and happy)  I like that!

I guess what made me think of it was the coming to terms with it. Personally.  At first the need and the comfort, utilitarian. Now the feelings of liking something that is needed for support yet stylish.  I'm voicing I think to make sure this is still an okay feeling for me.  I know it should be and I'm happy but looking from where I came from and where I now find for myself there is a drastic change. 
  None the less I like where I am.  Still me and very happy.

aboywithgirls

I've said before that a bra can be the perfect combination of function and fashion ( and now you all know where I was coming from lol 😆).

But seriously, there is no need to restrict yourself to white, beige, and black when choosing a bra. Lace cup bras are not only pretty, they are the perfect choice in warmer weather.

Underwire bras have superior support and shape that keep you comfortable and keep your boobs looking good a day long. When properly fitted, they are usually more comfortable to wear all day.

Offline jan1north

• Posting Member
Why bother with the question?
Wear whatever works or pleases - preferably works AND pleases
So true!  I’ve always shopped for fit/comfort and function first having long ago decided that fashion (or color) doesn’t always end in comfort.  I’ve told this to SA’s at bra fittings so as to not limit possibilities to just sport bras (or whatever). 

Having said that, I’ve become aware of certain styles that will likely fit better and certain brands that run small, say in the band. 

Busted (and happy)

Hi Orb. 
I think you know I am with you.
The post was somewhat tongue in cheek

Orb

Busted (and happy),

Thanks and I knew you weren't calling me out.  This is new waters so to speak.  Acceptance and wearing a bra and now enjoying one that is softer and prettier.  Some might say more feminine.  I have grown to like it.

Offline MychalBloodwing

• Bronze Member
I've said before that a bra can be the perfect combination of function and fashion ( and now you all know where I was coming from lol 😆).

But seriously, there is no need to restrict yourself to white, beige, and black when choosing a bra. Lace cup bras are not only pretty, they are the perfect choice in warmer weather.

Underwire bras have superior support and shape that keep you comfortable and keep your boobs looking good a day long. When properly fitted, they are usually more comfortable to wear all day.
I totally agree with you, Sophie! I much prefer lace bras...and a little bling and ribbon between my breasts doesn't do me any harm!

Confused old man

I have a camouflage color sports bra. I can hang out in just my bra and no one can see me;D;D. But in reading what you all have to say. I think I will get a frilly bra, ha..why not?...fun fun. Just as long as it fits and feels good.

Busted (and happy)

Hi Confused Old Man
Lace (Non stretch, traditional) Is an excellent bra material. Cool + Comfortable and being non stretch is very supportive. 
Also beyond the basic very attractive look you can get it as "glam" as you want!!
Go for it or any or anything else you fancy.

Offline 42CSurprise!

The first mind altering consideration is whether we are prepared to accept the breasts we have developed, whether early to late.  As I've read discussions here I read of men who have gone from tolerating what can be considered an embarrassing condition we wished would go away, to acceptance and then to appreciation and enjoyment.  Parallel to that is the conversation about brassieres.  As you can imagine, that too will reflect the ambivalence we've felt.  Sports bras at the beginning... the most masculine way to handle "the situation."  Utilitarian and not especially attractive.  Then the focus is on comfort... simply holding those critters in place without causing too much discomfort through the time of wearing.  As acceptance and appreciation of breasts grows, then the possibility arises that we can choose to wear what enhances the appearance of our breasts.  Since we have them, we might as well enjoy the experience.  I imagine choosing a brassiere from the perspective of how it appears... fashionable perhaps... aligns with acceptance and appreciation rather than grudging tolerance.  I'm all for that.  I didn't ask for breasts but since the hormonal stew within this body has provided them... I think I'll enjoy them.  An attractive brassiere contributes to that for me.  ;) 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024