Author Topic: Need a bra but have COPD  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Henry again

This is my first post.
I definitely need a bra but I am a 71 year old man that has just begun to develop breasts.
I have COPD which makes breathing difficult some times and the very thought of a constructive bra makes me feel claustrophobic.

Would it be better to have a sports bra with cups or one of those kind that is just a solid panel across the front?

My wife measured me so I think the measurements are accurate.
39/44

Thanks

Offline SideSet

Sounds you might be a 40 DD

Offline oldguy

• Silver Member
This is my first post.
I definitely need a bra but I am a 71 year old man that has just begun to develop breasts.
I have COPD which makes breathing difficult some times and the very thought of a constructive bra makes me feel claustrophobic.

Would it be better to have a sports bra with cups or one of those kind that is just a solid panel across the front?

My wife measured me so I think the measurements are accurate.
39/44

Thanks
I am also 71 with 40% lung capacity due to childhood asthma.  I understand exactly what you are concerned about.  I actually find sports bras to be more constructive than a regular bra.  I use wire free bras and they work very well for me.  I do use sports bras when exercising.  I have both cups and panel bras.  The cups are more comfortable for me as they don't seem to squish the boobs as much.

aboywithgirls

Sounds you might be a 40 DD
I agree, 40DD is a good starting point.

Hentry, everyone is going to have a different opinion of what is the best bra for you. The bottom line is to get a comfortable bra for what you are going to want it for.

If your doing excersing and physical activity, I would say that a sports bra is the way to go. However if you are looking for something for support and everyday comfort, I would say that you should look into an "everyday bra". I can say that if you happen to have a Torrid store near you, they are very happy to have men shop with them. They will also happily offer to fit you for your bras. They have a great selection and they are also notorious for being a very comfortable everyday bra.

🤗🥰👩‍🦰
Sophie

Busted (and happy)

Just be aware that a measurement taken by normal women's methods often do not work for men. 
Also different manufacturers suggest different methods. 
Then there is the problem that a quoted size usually is nowhere near the same actual size from brand to brand. 

Its a minefield. 
Get measured or at very least try a few off ebay or go to store, grab a  few, pop them in a basket a take yourself off to the mens fitting rooms. 
Welcome aboard. 
Good luck

Orb

Just be aware that a measurement taken by normal women's methods often do not work for men.
Also different manufacturers suggest different methods.
Then there is the problem that a quoted size usually is nowhere near the same actual size from brand to brand.

Its a minefield.
Get measured or at very least try a few off ebay or go to store, grab a  few, pop them in a basket a take yourself off to the mens fitting rooms.
Welcome aboard.
Good luck
Good to have ya back friend!

Offline Henry again

Okay,
I tried a sports bra but it feels really restrictive and frankly doesn’t do much to support at all.
Still looking for alternatives and open to suggestions.

Offline jan1north

• Posting Member
Look for bras sized X, XL, XXL, etc.  They usually have more stretch and are available in both pull-over and front or back hook styles.  I find sport bras are typically tighter to reduce motion while in motion.

Offline Henry again

I’ve tried a compression shirt (can’t breathe) and a “sports bra” (can’t breathe even worse)
I just ordered five regular bras from Walmart and Amazon in a variety of styles and a range of sizes.
I see which one fits best and go from there.

Offline gotgyne

I’ve tried a compression shirt (can’t breathe) and a “sports bra” (can’t breathe even worse)
I just ordered five regular bras from Walmart and Amazon in a variety of styles and a range of sizes.
I see which one fits best and go from there.
That's a good idea. My mother-in-law couldn't breathe also with bras with the correct measurements. At last she got a bra in 44A which was good for her, although she was a cup C or D in my opinion. Don't use an underband which is too small. Better use a wider underband and go down with the cup. In your case the problems because of COPD are much more important than a correct bra size.

John
A bra is just an article of clothing for people with breasts.

Offline brock123

• Silver Member
To me, your best bet would be to bite the proverbial bullet and make the time to go to a women's "boutique" for brassieres. I think in this day and age, they won't be "put off" from the idea of helping a male person as they may have been in the past, and if you ask to talk to the owner/manager about any concerns you have might even score you an after-hours "personal" (aka shirtless) visit where their expertise (aka touching your bare chest) might really help you out?

I find it unlikely that you will find "your" solution via trial and error; you seem to be searching for compression type garments to solve it, but compression garments may not be what you necessarily need? To me, you are looking more for comfort and an ability to breathe normally while trying to hide your chest. There is no shortage of women that understand and accept that men might need help here, especially as we age.

Yeah, you might end up in a "lacey" or perhaps even "sexy" get-up if you go to women for help, and that might be hard to accept for a dude, but it is what it is. It's 2022, and yet society is still imperfect. To me, if a man is able to project comfort with himself, whatever that comfort happens to be, women will still latch onto that and find you attractive, if that is a concern.

Everyone has the right to be comfortable in their own skin. If your skin happens to have boobs included that "shouldn't be there", first off you are incorrect. Male boobs have been around since the dawn of history. We also apparently pioneered nail polish, earrings, leggings, high heels, and dresses? Gender Identity is provably bullshit when History is taken into account; we are all just "humans". We all have boobs, or we all eventually will.

aboywithgirls

I think that Brock is absolutely right. A reputable boutique is probably the best place to find a bra that give you the support that you need and a fit that won't exasperate your COPD. I'm certain that there are many women with COPD who have found a bra that works for them. 

I know that Soma's Embliss  line of bras are light and airy. I wear them for sleep and leisure bras. They may work well for you as well. 

Sophie ❤️ 

Confused old man

Compression in the upper body is the absolute worse thing a person can do. We need to breathe freely. We even have breathing exercises in yoga class. I still wear a sports bra in aerobics class. But it comes off immediately after class. I went from buying things to hide my boobs to now wearing clothes to be more comfortable. Got tired of living that way. Always trying to hide my boobs or my bra. It became exhausting. I no longer try and hide. The only person I was trying to fool is me. And guess what?..nobody cares. If some people are so concerned that a mans chest is sticking out like a women’s or they can see your bra. They need to get a life! That’s their problem, not mine. Lots of stuff out there in the world now to be concerned about rather then some mans boobs or bra. So free yourself from compression garments and live and breathe freely.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024