Author Topic: Blue Cross Blue Shield??  (Read 10776 times)

Offline I-Hate-Gyno

• Bronze Member
  • I am getting PEC's one day
  Hay Mike I live in Texas. How about you? In addition, did you pick which surgeon you wanted to perform the surgery or was there a list of ps.

I-H-G
$1000 saved
$4500 needed for "freedom!"(vaio mb.).

Offline BigApple

• Posting Member
Check this out:

New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com

Hit insurer for teen's breast op  
BY HELEN PETERSON  
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER  
Wednesday, December 1st, 2004  

Breast reduction surgery for an 18-year-old man wasn't just cosmetic, it was a medical necessity, a Manhattan judge ruled.  

The decision came in a lawsuit filed by the Long Island teenager's father, who sued his health insurer, GHI, for refusing to pay for the surgery.  

Small Claims Court Judge Barbara Jaffe said the teen, who suffers from a hormonal imbalance, was robbed of a normal life by his condition.  

"In order to avoid the great embarrassment and suffering he endured when ridiculed by his peers, [the teen] never swam, went to the beach or engaged in any activities which exposed his chest to view," Jaffe wrote in her decision, made public yesterday.  

The teen's father, whose name is being withheld by the Daily News, represented himself in the case, even though he's not a lawyer. "We just felt that this was a case that should be heard and I was not going to give up," he said.  

GHI argued that the surgery was cosmetic and elective and not covered by insurance. The insurance giant said it will appeal.  

The dad said his son had the $7,500 surgery in July and was thrilled with the results.  

"The kid's emotional state went from zero to 100. It was a tremendous attitude change for him," the teen's father told The News. "If it cost me $100,000, I would have done it."  

He said his son's condition, known as bilateral gynecomastia, was caused by a hormone imbalance.  

After his claim was rejected, he filed a $5,000 lawsuit in Small Claims Court, and presented a case, including affidavits from doctors who said the teen's breasts were "inhibiting his psychosocial development."  

Offline I-Hate-Gyno

• Bronze Member
  • I am getting PEC's one day
    Dam-it I wish I was a teen living in New York? I am very trouble waking up every morning and knowing that I can't go jump into the pool that is 20ft away from my apartment :'( . That's okay because I will be fixing this problem fairly soon. ;D

I-H-G

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024