Author Topic: Questions regarding Revision  (Read 1556 times)

Offline macman213

• Bronze Member
Its been a little over 6 weeks since my Lipo only gyno surgery. For me, it was only for puffy nipples. On the second day, when I removed the binder for the first time, they were never flat. They had gone down about 35% and have essentially stayed that way since.The bruising and swelling have all gone and I have what feels like either gland or swollen/scar tissue under the nipples. I really can’t imagine things getting flat over the next 4.5 months since at no point have I seen them close to where they should’ve been (and where I wanted them to be). In hindsight, I should have insisted on excision.

I really don’t want to sit around for another 4.5 months waiting for things to change, when things currently look EXACTLY the way they did Day 2.  I regret not insisting on direct excision (vs taking at face value my surgeons insistence that he would be aggressive with the lipo and the gland could be removed).

I had a couple of questions regarding revisions:

1.   Is there any medical downside/harm to having revision surgery prior to the 6 month window that is often mentioned here? Meaning if 80% of the healing takes place at 3 months (for most people) is there any harm that could come from revision at 3 months?
2.   Regardless of #1- If I’ve had the Lipo already- would excision only suffice? Or would I need more lipo to get good results.

Thanks!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Surgery for puffy nipples is not easy. In my hands, it usually requires direct excision and lipo (or skin undermining without suction) at the barest minimum.

If your nipples were never flat after surgery, then more than likely you will need a revision at some time in the future.  However, you are now in the midst of healing, with active scar tissue formation, swelling, etc.  It would be unwise to do anything at this point. 

Best would be to let everything settle down -- usually 5-6 months.  At that time, you (and your surgeon) will have a better idea of what your result is and what needs to be done.

Can't answer your second question -- that depends on a physical exam.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024