Author Topic: How to prevent weight gain during recovery  (Read 2183 times)

Offline dark_nite

• Posting Member
Hey guys I have surgery scheduled for the 22nd of this month (13 days from now) and I am worried about the lethargic lifestyle required during recovery. Apparently its 2 weeks no exercise, 2 weeks light exercise, and then freedom. But I know if I don't exercise for a full two weeks I will bloat.

How can I prevent this?

So far I have two plans:
1) Try to exercise and diet as much as possible up to the surgery on the 22nd.
2) during recovery try to eat a limited diet and choose as healthy foods as possible. Maybe walk as much as possible? Can I go for walks?

Any suggestions?

Offline xelnaga13

I walked a few days after surgery. If you cut calories to reflect your activity level there should be nothing preventing you from keeping the weight off.

Remember pre/post op nutrition is important for healing... so I would avoid limiting your intake of healthy food.

Offline rasputin

• Silver Member
I've been calorie counting every day for 5 months. The answer to weight management is simple - eat less calories than you use and you will lose weight.

My plan after surgery is to eat the same amount of calories as I use and to try and be as active as possible, walking to shops etc. Just watch what you eat, simple as that - loads of online calorie counting tools to help.
My Trip Report (Preop & Postop pics).

Offline Glad2findU

• Bronze Member
I agree with trying to figure out your calorie intake for maintenance per day. I would like to suggest that you aim to eat 1 gram of protein per kg of lean body weight(ie. subtract any extra fat you maybe carrying from your body weight)   

Offline xelnaga13

I've been calorie counting every day for 5 months. The answer to weight management is simple - eat less calories than you use and you will lose weight.

My plan after surgery is to eat the same amount of calories as I use and to try and be as active as possible, walking to shops etc. Just watch what you eat, simple as that - loads of online calorie counting tools to help.

Yep! Calorie counting seems difficult and time consuming at first, but eventually you get good enough that you can eye ball a portion of food and guess with a good level of accuracy.

Offline dark_nite

• Posting Member
cool... i'll try to calculate how much im burning and match that up with how much im taking in. And I've heard the protein calculation before too, good idea. Thanks.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024