Author Topic: Exercise and Gynecomastia  (Read 4832 times)

Offline trevorman1

Hey everybody

I have had puffy nipples since i was about 15, but not to severe.  I am now 17 and they are still puffy, maybe a little worse than they were before.  Has anyone tried eating clean and exercising?  I have noticed that most that most people here are a little on the heavy side with about 20+ % body fat.  Now that I think about it I dont think I've seen anyone who seemed particularly fit.
      Because there is so much talk about surgery I could guess that dropping your bodyfat % isnt really effective, but I think I will try it nonetheless.  

Give me some feedback on this idea.

Offline rocketrob

• Silver Member
  • GYNO IS A BIATCH!
Read more on exercise, diet and Gyno

Made mine worse, especially the diet part... and ive been a heavy weight lifter my entire life.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I think that a healthy diet and physical activities are great ideas. But they will have little to no effect on the Gynecomastia.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Warlord

• Posting Member
  • My battle with gynecomastia has begun.
I think that a healthy diet and physical activities are great ideas. But they will have little to no effect on the Gynecomastia.

Again, respect goes out to the experienced forum members, but I need to disagree, at least in a relatively mild sense.

True, exercise won't eliminate gynecomastia, especially with the puffy nipple scenario.  However, exercise, especially a trio combination of correct eating, strength training, and aerobics, will help to cut away a lot of the gynecomastic fat.  If it's gynecomastia with gland issues, then that's different.  But gynecomastia, from mostly fat, should definitely benefit from exercising...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 05:49:35 AM by Warlord »

Offline skyhawk

• Gold Member
I have seen photos of guys with gyne that lost as much as 100 lbs and were now normal height and weight. Didn't phase the gyne.

Offline PeterBateman

• Gold Member
f'ing gyne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline PeterBateman

• Gold Member
nope...i had gyne since 13.  always lifted weights - heavy at times, but tapered alot since then.  but the gyne always there.  then a few years ago i began running alot, and trained for a half marathon.  at the end of the training i was running 30-35 miles a week.  guess where my gyne was?  still there.  i had ripped abs, hardly any fat, i was down to 181 lbs (im 194 now)...ti'ts still there....don't think anything will get rid of it except ripping 'em out

Offline GodWasAngry

• Silver Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1! And it loves me!
don't think anything will get rid of it except ripping 'em out

lol

i guess i agree, ive been heavier, i've been thiner, i've been muscless and now im relatively big on muscles but the gynos always been there for me.
maybe it depends on the person body type

Offline Hypo-is-here

I think what we see in many cases of gynecomastia is a disproportionate amount of weight on the chest in comparison to the stomach or other areas of the body, usually a combination of fat and gland that makes the people concerned look much fatter than they actually are.

When you look at the general public there are an awful lot of men who are significantly overweight yet they have far less gynecomastia than much lighter counter-parts that often frequent this site.

Remember gynecomastia makes men look fatter than they are!   Take a look at before and after photos and see what I am talking about!

So I would say it is often proportion of chest in comparison to the rest of the body which is the issue.

When people with clear amounts of glandular mass diet and or exercise it reduces the fat but it has little to no impact on the glandular mass, as such men who have this disproportionate look continue to suffer from the exact same problem.  In fact many, many people have tried getting to very low body fat levels and have found that it has often exacerbated the problem.

The bottom line is unless the gynecomastia is mostly fat, exercise and or diet will NOT work.

I am talking from the experience of being here for over two years having seen many attempts to get rid of the problem in this manner as well as talking from personal experience.

In my own case my gynecomastia was at its worst when I was a pro tennis coach, running 20 miles a week, playing badminton every other day, eating the right food etc and was at a very low level of body fat.  The problem looked less natural and more difficult to hide when very fit.  

Also I think there is often an obsession on this site with fitness due to the crossover appeal/association with bodybuilding.  What many people here define as fat/obese is very often nothing like what the medical community would define as fat/obese.  Rather it is a skewed/distorted opinion based on an obsessive view of the world.

The above is highlighted by the regular postings from some who arrive here which seem to think that minor conical gynecomastia on a low body fat man (the kind that can be hidden in shirts) is more of an issue than moderate to significant gynecomastia on a man of average or slightly overweight build (the kind that cannot be hidden in anything).  

Ignorant postings/comments of this nature are regularly seen in the photo section of the site where moderate to significant gynecomastia is often passed off as nothing more than laziness on the part of the sufferer because of the warped opinions as explained above.

Very often unless an individual is obviously and significantly overweight the whole issue of weight when it comes to this condition is a part of the whole laziyness misconception that shrouds gynecomastia.

Weight is often about as relevant in a man of average or slightly overweight build as it is in a man who is ultra fit with low body fat.........

If we go along the lines of separating the two or saying that my gynecomastia is bad because I have low body fat and yours is just fat- well it is as ignorant as a member of the public going upto a low body fat man who has gynecomastia and saying hello fatty because he has boobs.

When I had my op people commended me on how much weigh I lost and how fit I looked.  Prior to the op people thought I was a bit porky (surgeon stated extensive glandular gynecomastia- op 3 and a half hours).

I never was fat- but I looked it......we need to wise up if the misconceptions are rife here what on earth can we expect from the public.  ::)

« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 03:48:34 AM by Hypo-is-here »

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
 ...Very often unless an individual is obviously and significantly overweight the whole issue of weight when it comes to this condition is a part of the whole laziyness misconception that shrouds gynecomastia.

Weight is often about as relevant in a man of average or slightly overweight build as it is in a man who is ultra fit with low body fat.........

If we go along the lines of separating the two or saying that my gynecomastia is bad because I have low body fat and yours is just fat- well it is as ignorant as a member of the public going upto a low body fat man who has gynecomastia and saying hello fatty because he has boobs.

When I had my op people commended me on how much weigh I lost and how fit I looked.  Prior to the op people thought I was a bit porky (surgeon stated extensive glandular gynecomastia- op 3 and a half hours).

I never was fat- but I looked it......we need to wise up if the misconceptions are rife here what on earth can we expect from the public.  ::)

Very true.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 01:49:19 PM by Mr_Nip »
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline Warlord

• Posting Member
  • My battle with gynecomastia has begun.

The bottom line is unless the gynecomastia is mostly fat, exercise and or diet will NOT work.

Agreed.  However...

Forgive another ignorant post/coment, but I speak from not just experience, but, also, medical evaluations.

On the part of experience, I made a change a year and a half ago, wherein I reduced my fat intake, increased my exercise, and focused on eating a correct and healthy diet.  As a result, I lost over 30 lbs., with a very noticeable loss in the gynecomastic area.

Six months ago, I became very ill, enough to the point where I couldn't exercise.  I was out for three weeks, which snowballed into where I am now, with my body gaining back all of the lost weight, plus some.  There were two areas that showed the most gain:  the chest and the stomach, in that order.  Only way that could happen (assuming no medical problems) is if it was an addition of fat, which means that my gynecomastia is primarily made up of fat.

On the part of medical evaluations, I was examined by a PS in June, my third PS in 15 years.  He told me, flat out, that my gynecomastia was 95% fat.  Out of that fat, he estimated that he would be able to remove 85-90% of it through simple liposuction.  He made it very, very clear that under no circumstances, even if I were to go to another PS, should I have, nor consider, excision as a necessary option.  He said that, with my broad shoulders and muscle layout, I would be an excellent candidate for liposuction.  He detected no glandular issues, which means that my gynecomastia is primarily made up of fat.

In addition to the physical examination, I was able to ask him what benefits, when dealing with gynecomastia, could be derived from exercising.  He stated that the first areas to show signs of fat loss are the stomach, in men, and the breasts and hips, in women.  He stated that those areas show the first signs because they're primarily made up of fatty tissue (female bodybuilders and their traditionally small breasts are an excellent example of fat loss through exercise, since the female breast is primarily comprised of fat cells).  As a result, a man who suffers from gynecomastia, CAUSED BY FAT, would see significant decrease with exercise.  However, he did stress that it would not 'get rid' of it, and that surgery, specifically to my case, would still be needed.

One more thing must be noted:  the PS made it clear that the surgery almost always has better results with a physically fit man, than with one who is out of shape.  The skin responds better to contouring, the risk of infection diminishes, and the entire healing process is smoother.  He made it very clear that no surgery is risk-free, fit person or not, but that the man who's in shape will nearly always have a better surgical experience than the one who is not.

When I post a comment, not only do I post it from personal experience and observation, but, also, from medical evaluations and advice.  My comment on exercise was correct:  when dealing with liposuction for a gynecomastic condition that's comprised of mostly fatty tissue, a precursor of exercise, healthy eating, and fat loss will not only have a direct impact upon the condition itself, but will prepare the patient for a recovery that should be faster, less painful, and show better results.  

Exercise will NOT get rid of gynecomastia, fat or glandular, but it will definitely help.

I just wanted to be clear on where I stand.  I'll always value the input and opinions of others...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 07:39:18 AM by Warlord »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024