Author Topic: Has anyone here flown to a different country to get the surgery?  (Read 5286 times)

Offline Cellar_Door

• Silver Member
Or are you thinking about it?

How did that go for you? I'm not a seasoned flyer, but I don't think it would be a huge problem - flying nowadays is very convenient.
Surgery completed. Mission accomplished!
2/6/09. Dr. Karidis, UK.

Offline Merangue

• Silver Member
flying nowadays is very convenient.

Haven't been to the airport in a while eg?  ;D

There are many who have done the surgery in a different country. If you go to the stories/diaries section there's people who have flown to India, Singapore, etc for it.

There are challenges, like if you have to fly out twice (consult + operation) or length of stay, etc. You'd also need to have a visa and other requirements for going to certain countries.

Just plan ahead. There's no reason you wouldn't be able to do it.

Offline Cellar_Door

• Silver Member
Well...relatively convenient. I personally get excited around airports; I love them!

I'm living in Ireland and am going to fly to London - it's a very short distance, so it shouldn't be any hassle. I'm just mildly worried about flying back, when I'm bruised and battered after the operation!

Thanks for your post.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Plan on staying long enough that you will have access to your surgeon should you need follow-up. Consult the surgeon about this beforehand, they may have connections that can get you short term accomodations near their facilities at reasonable prices.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Cellar_Door

• Silver Member
Plan on staying long enough that you will have access to your surgeon should you need follow-up. Consult the surgeon about this beforehand, they may have connections that can get you short term accomodations near their facilities at reasonable prices.

Could you elaborate a little bit? How long do you mean, roughly, and what kind of accommodation arrangements are you talking about?

Thanks!

Offline Merangue

• Silver Member
Well...relatively convenient. I personally get excited around airports; I love them!

Hehe, I'm the same way. I love airports.

I'm kind of in the same position as you except I'm flying across the country for mine (Canada). I'm flying to Toronto on Monday for my consult with Fielding.

Regarding what GB was saying... you will most likely need to stay a few days (two or three should be fine) after the surgery so the chances of a hematoma are minimized (as well as any other complications). Most doctors will request you stay overnight at the hospital if you don't have someone accompanying you. So for another day or two after that you'll need to get a motel. That's pretty much it, ask your doctor when he'll do a post-op checkup to find out how many days you'll need to stay.

For example my plan for the operation is to fly out there the night before... spend the night at the airport, go for the operation, stay overnight at the hospital, stay another day at a motel, then fly back.

DrBermant

Or are you thinking about it?

How did that go for you? I'm not a seasoned flyer, but I don't think it would be a huge problem - flying nowadays is very convenient.

Yes, I see many gynecomastia patients travel from around the world who prefer my techniques. It is not uncommon for us to work with patients from 3 different continents each week.  Here are a few of their experiences:

Travel from the United Kingdom . UK,

Canada

Travel from Hong Kong, Vietnam, and other countries in Asia

Travel from Hong Kong and Ireland for Revision Gynecomastia Surgery

To minimize travel, many start with our Preliminary Remote Discussion.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Cellar_Door

• Silver Member

Hehe, I'm the same way. I love airports.

I'm kind of in the same position as you except I'm flying across the country for mine (Canada). I'm flying to Toronto on Monday for my consult with Fielding.

Regarding what GB was saying... you will most likely need to stay a few days (two or three should be fine) after the surgery so the chances of a hematoma are minimized (as well as any other complications). Most doctors will request you stay overnight at the hospital if you don't have someone accompanying you. So for another day or two after that you'll need to get a motel. That's pretty much it, ask your doctor when he'll do a post-op checkup to find out how many days you'll need to stay.

For example my plan for the operation is to fly out there the night before... spend the night at the airport, go for the operation, stay overnight at the hospital, stay another day at a motel, then fly back.

Interesting, very informative.

I just finished college and am taking some time off before further study, so I'm living with one parent right now (my parents are divorced). I will need some excuse to explain my absence.

(Also, I will reveal my inexperience by saying I have never booked myself into a motel or hotel before.)

RE: flying over the night before and staying at the airport, is that because you want to give yourself the maximum time to find the clinic the day after?

I might do the same.

Offline Merangue

• Silver Member

I just finished college and am taking some time off before further study, so I'm living with one parent right now (my parents are divorced). I will need some excuse to explain my absence.

(Also, I will reveal my inexperience by saying I have never booked myself into a motel or hotel before.)

RE: flying over the night before and staying at the airport, is that because you want to give yourself the maximum time to find the clinic the day after?

I might do the same.

Checking in to a motel is as easy as paying money and presenting ID (drivers license). Also I'll know how to get to the clinic by tomorrow when I go for my consult. The reason for staying at the airport the night before is a) I'm too cheap to get a motel for a few hours b) In case the flight gets canceled/delayed... there's enough time to get on a later one.

Offline Cellar_Door

• Silver Member

I might do the same.

Checking in to a motel is as easy as paying money and presenting ID (drivers license). Also I'll know how to get to the clinic by tomorrow when I go for my consult. The reason for staying at the airport the night before is a) I'm too cheap to get a motel for a few hours b) In case the flight gets canceled/delayed... there's enough time to get on a later one.

I don't have a driver's licence - would they accept a passport...?

So, would you just find somewhere in the airport like a bench, and try to sleep? I've done that before once or twice, usually to be awoken by loudly screaming, excitable kids at 5 in the morning, with their parents.

Offline Cellar_Door

• Silver Member
At least in America, most motels, as far as I know, like you to have a credit card, and valid ID.  As for Europe, I don't know.

I would never sleep in an Airport unless forced too. 

I think sometimes we are forgetting that this is a surgery.  It's not like going in and getting a massage or something.  Who wants to fly on an airplane and navigate through airports after having surgery?  Try lifting your bag after this.  Have fun.  I think people might want to be a little more conservative.

You bring up good points.

I have slept in an airport two times before, because I was getting a flight very early in the morning. I love airports, so it's fine with me.

I won't be bringing any heavy bags - just one small carrier bag, which I put over my shoulders, so there will be no strain.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There are excellent surgeons in other countries around the world.  And true, many of them are priced below US fees.  But there are a few things to be aware of -- and this is not a comprehensive list by any means.

First, check out the credentials and B/A photos of the surgeon and make sure he has significant experience in gyne surgery.  Next, check out his hospital or clinic -- make sure it is periodically inspected or accredited (ie clean and sanitary).  Next, allow sufficient time ahead of the surgery to arrive and visit with the surgeon.  Make sure you are both on the same page as to what you want as a result and what he plans to do.  (There are too many posts on this forum in which the doctor did only lipo and the patient needed direct gland excision as well.)  And make sure you are comfortable with the surgeon -- don't allow yourself to be rushed into surgery.  Finally, make sure that you will receive appropriate professional post-operative care with nurses and other professionals (preferably they will speak English so you can communicate with them).  Do not plan to fly home the day after surgery -- a mistake.  Give yourself a few days to recuperate and to make sure there are no immediate post-operative problems.

In the long run, be aware that the healing process is different with every person -- some experience a smooth healing process while others may develop fluid, scar tissue, swelling, etc.  Make sure your surgeon is available to deal with these. And remember, if something needs attention, you may have to return to your surgeon for treatment -- many physicians in the US are reluctant to take over another surgeon's problems or mistakes.

Finally, remember that in the rare instance that you may need to seek legal remedy against the surgeon, your chances of doing so in a foreign country are very slim.

When you are done answering all these questions, ask yourself if all of these things are worth it to save a few bucks.

In sum, caveat emptor ("let the buyer beware").

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Cellar_Door

• Silver Member
Thank you Dr Jacobs. Excellent and sound advice.

I have verified everything in that list. But I didn't realise it would be a mistake to fly home the day after - so, duly noted. I'll stay in a motel or something.

I'm actually from Ireland, not the US, and I'm going to fly to London to get it done - money is the last issue on my mind. Irish surgeons, in my opinion, are not qualified enough in gynecomastia surgery because they do not have enough experience.
As you have noted, this isn't something you want to try to save a few coins on.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024