Author Topic: When to drain?  (Read 1749 times)

Offline toxicity

• Posting Member
Hello,
I had my excision done on September 5, and my right side is perfect - unbelievable! My left side had a big hematoma and swelling. Now the hole used for draining has healed up on my right side, and the one on my left side is still there (still wearing a gauze over it, as it does bleed a bit).

I did work all of the old blood out of my left side in the shower (by applying pressure, about 250ML came out through the drain hole) a few days ago. Now the left side is good, but its not great. My aerola is not quite flat, and I am convinced that I could pressure some more fluid out, but I am worried about reopening my drain hole. It is just starting to heal, yet I feel I could coax just a little bit out every day. This situation is analgous to walking a tightrope, as I want swelling to completely subside, but I think that by keeping the drain hole open I may be apt to scar more.

I have an appt with my PS on Wednesday, so I won't know till then (at which point I could have drained more, or left it alone). What should I do here? I want my left side to look like my right. Although my left side is much better than before surgery, my aerola does stick out maybe 1/3rd of an inch. Is this just swelling? Will it disappear?

Thanks

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
Hi,

I really can’t tell you what you should do.  However I can tell you what I would do and why.

If I was seeing the PS in 3 days I would do nothing and suggest to him that he drained it professionally.  The last thing I would want would be to fiddle around with it and maybe get it infected or create internal bleeding.  If I was really worried that things might get worse in the 3 days before seeing the PS, I would see my own doctor and ask him if it should be drained.

As I say, that is what I would do, but it’s your choice.

Good luck
Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
Why don't you just call your P.S. and ask what to do?  Any P.S. who's got any sense would want you to call  if you have a problem or concern.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 08:05:27 AM by Mr_Nip »
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024