Author Topic: Swelling!?! need help  (Read 4166 times)

Offline user87

• Silver Member
After gyne surgery (excision) ..Is it possible that there is already some swelling the first day after your surgery or does swelling start developping day 2-3???

DrBermant

After gyne surgery (excision) ..Is it possible that there is already some swelling the first day after your surgery or does swelling start developping day 2-3???

Posting Standard After Gynecomastia Surgery Pictures will let others better understand your concerns.

Swelling After Gynecomastia Surgery depends on the problem treated, surgical techniques, skill of the surgeon, after surgery care, and other factors.  Swelling for my patients is typically peaks at the end of surgery as you can see on the many examples posted on my website.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline user87

• Silver Member
THX Dr Bermant

is it possible that the first day after the surgery there is so much swelling that the nipples still look puffy???
Because I read that the aerolas start puffing out some days after the surgery and right after the surgery they should look like the final result will look like.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 01:44:45 PM by user87 »

DrBermant

THX Dr Bermant

is it possible that the first day after the surgery there is so much swelling that the nipples still look puffy???
Because I read that the aerolas start puffing out some days after the surgery and right after the surgery they should look like the final result will look like.

I do not see that with my patients, but have seen such issues with other doctors' techniques.  For my patients typically, peak swelling is the day of surgery.  The swelling gets less each day after that.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Swelling is very variable.  It depends on the doctor's surgical skill and experience but it also depends on other biological factors which are unique to each individual.  It also will depend on the position in which you sleep, the tightness of your compression garment (and how well you wear it), etc.

Therefore, one cannot draw any conclusions about the amount of swelling in any individual.  For some it may be on the operative day and in others it may be a few days later.  Just bear in mind, swelling is water -- and it will disappear-- just be patient.  And the amount of swelling will not reflect on the final outcome of your operation.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Pacifico

• Silver Member
Thanks for the HELPFULL response Dr. Jacobs.

Offline dondante

• Gold Member
Swelling is very variable.  It depends on the doctor's surgical skill and experience but it also depends on other biological factors which are unique to each individual.  It also will depend on the position in which you sleep, the tightness of your compression garment (and how well you wear it), etc.

Therefore, one cannot draw any conclusions about the amount of swelling in any individual.  For some it may be on the operative day and in others it may be a few days later.  Just bear in mind, swelling is water -- and it will disappear-- just be patient.  And the amount of swelling will not reflect on the final outcome of your operation.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs, as a person recovering from gyne removal who has scoured these boards for information about swelling, I want to thank you for providing the most concise and reassuring explanation of post-operative swelling I have yet to come across.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Thanks for your kind words -- and glad to be of help.

If you have any personal questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024