Author Topic: male breast cancer and gyno  (Read 2764 times)

Offline barker101

Hello,
I took finasteride for 15 years, then stopped, then I thought I developed post finasteride syndrome because I became very sick. In an attempt to treat it, I used testosterone injections. Then I developed gyno.
Then I found out that I didn't have Post Finasteride Syndrome, but I instead had lyme disease. So I've been treating lyme disease.

Over the past three months I've had a painful burning sensation in my breasts. I feel small lumps throughout my breast. I'm not sure if this is normal. Could this be breast cancer?
Thanks!

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Bilateral diffuse breast cancer would be exceedingly rare in a  male.It sounds to me that you have a lot going on medically.You should see a doctor  to help sort everything out and stop treating yourself. Good luck!
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Male breast cancer is much less common than female breast cancer.  In 25 years of doing gynecomastia surgery, I have had four patients in whom non-invasive breast cancer (DCIS) was identified in the pathologic specimens.  Three of these patients had a history of steroid use, and the histology was atypical even for DCIS.  They didn't have any additional treatment.  The fourth patient, who had a family history for breast cancer and no history of steroid use, had a more typical presentation of DCIS, and he had additional surgical resection (in which no additional cancer was found), but no other treatment.  Something to be aware of, but not likely the source of your problems. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline barker101

Male breast cancer is much less common than female breast cancer.  In 25 years of doing gynecomastia surgery, I have had four patients in whom non-invasive breast cancer (DCIS) was identified in the pathologic specimens.  Three of these patients had a history of steroid use, and the histology was atypical even for DCIS.  They didn't have any additional treatment.  The fourth patient, who had a family history for breast cancer and no history of steroid use, had a more typical presentation of DCIS, and he had additional surgical resection (in which no additional cancer was found), but no other treatment.  Something to be aware of, but not likely the source of your problems.

Thanks Dr. Silverman. It's been 8 months since I used a steroid. My breast tissue still has this burning sensation. Do you know why I am getting this burning sensation? Is it my body trying to remove fat from my breast tissue that doesn't belong there? Will it go away eventually?

If I had surgery, would that make the burning sensation go away? Or does surgery introduce more pain?

Thanks!

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I can't explain why you have pain, but I have treated gynecomastia associated with anabolic steroid use, and the pain, if still present (in spite of not using steroids for over six months), typically has resolved following surgery.  No guarantee, but this has been my experience. 
RS

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
I agree with the others. It is very doubtful that it is cancer. Most breast cancers in men present as a non-painful single lump. It could be related to the testosterone injections however. 
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024