Author Topic: Question about surgery w/o excision.  (Read 1826 times)

Offline ughomg

• Posting Member
I heard some surgeons perform gyne surgery w/o excision. For example, I heard Dr. Elliot Jacobs does this and was wondering where would the scars appear if a candidate can have the gynecomastia removed with only that lipo tool he has? Also how big are these scars...will they heal... are they noticible? Thanks. I have a moderate case of gyne..probably a 3/10 and was hoping i would only need the lipo tool to remove the gyne (still haven't gone to a consultation yet though) and was wondering where the scars would be.

Offline ellington7

• Bronze Member
scars for lypo would be by the arm pit.  The scars equal one on each side, and they will not be bad at all, but I must say that the real issue is what kind of surgery do you need?  you need to see if you need gladualar or jsut lypo because if you get the wrong one, you'll be disappointed...oh yeah..one way to see if yiou have a gland problem is to simply squeeze your nipple area and see if it's thick or if it seems different than fat because if it is, you need glandular excession, and don't let the doc try to give you lypo only in that situation because you will not be happy with the result...

Offline wildbilly

• Posting Member
For what its worth, I had a relatively minor case - would say 3 or 4 on scale of 10 (very big to me but minor compared to some on this site) and surgeon recommended lipo only. I was sort of spooked by all of the negative comments on this site about no excision. Now just 3 and a half weeks post op, I am very pleased with lipo only results so far. I am out of compression vest now and chest is flat and normal looking for guy in mid 40s and average weight. I never had and never will have a perfect body, and wanted to simply look normal and feel comfortable with shirt off at pool or beach and be able to wear t shirt in public. The surgeon did the lipo through a very small incision about 2 inches below each nipple - not very noticable at all and seems to be disappearing. Although overall results could change for the worse, so far results look better daily and doc says that should continue. I really think you have to find a very good surgeon who you trust and has a good reputation. Everyone has a different condition and different expectations. Good Luck.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Just to clarify:  I perform aggressive lipo (with my own specially designed instruments) initially on everyone.  Then, in the middle of the operation, if I am not satisfied and there is still some firm tissue present, I will perform excision.  It is not all or none -- it is a decision process based on what I find at surgery. But, if I can get everything out with aggressive lipo alone, and not have to make an incision around the nipple, so much the better!

The lipo scar is about 3-4mm long (less than 1/4 inch) and is located on the side of the chest under the armpit.  It tends to heal well over time -- and yes, it always heals.

Many people on this forum seem to think you can decide before surgery whether you need excision or lipo just by feeling and examining your chest and/or nipples.  You can't!  Even I can't -- and I do have a lot of experience in this field.  It is only during surgery that the answer will be evident.

Trust this answers your questions.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline ellington7

• Bronze Member
Well... Your the doc, do I will in no way try to refute the advice you've given.  All I would say as someone who's had a revision is that lypo only surgery, as you know doc, is very commonly used by physicans who fear cuting out too much tissue leaving holes or concave nips, so yes, I totally agree with you that you can't make a decision before the surgery because condensed fat sometimes feels like a gland, but it is neccessary to have an expert observation before any surgery is done.  I also think that your procedure is the best one since you work as you go enabling you to adjust the situation mid stream, but not all docs do it that way, that's all Im saying...

see ya

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024