Author Topic: First Time Poster Questions  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Relief_in_sight

• Posting Member
Hey all, Ive been surfing this site for a long time now, gathering info, undestanding the problem etc. Two months ago I made an appointment with Dr. Fielding and it is scheduled for surgery during the month of Febuary. I just need to know more info on the care process after surgery.
1st Question: What is drainage and how long does it last?
2 Question: What is a tensor wrap and a compression wrap? I have an Idea of what it is but im not sure.
3. How long do I have to wear them? how will I shower if I have to wear a bandage around my chest for a week?
4. What should I do to ensure that the healing process will go correctly and there will be no complications

THANK YOU for reading and please respond to this post!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
1st Question: What is drainage and how long does it last?

Drainage is the post-operative fluids that leak out of your body. For me, it lasted about one day.

2 Question: What is a tensor wrap and a compression wrap? I have an Idea of what it is but im not sure.

Tensor wraps are those beige cloth elastic bandages that you get from your doctor or the hospital. A compression wrap/vest is basically the same as a tensor except it is a tad more elaborate... Not really necessary for Gynecomastia reduction recovery if you ask me.....  ;)

3. How long do I have to wear them? how will I shower if I have to wear a bandage around my chest for a week?

Dude.... when you need to take a shower, take the tensor and pads off to do so. Put them back on after your shower. You wont hurt anything by having the tensor off for ten minutes...

4. What should I do to ensure that the healing process will go correctly and there will be no complications.

Just take it easy.... Let your body heal.
If there are complications, me thinks they will be beyond your control...  :-/

THANK YOU for reading and please respond to this post!

You are Welcome!

John.
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Creek

• Posting Member
1. Drainage is the fluid build-up in your wound that (sometimes) leaks out. This is natural and is usually lasting for the first day or so.
The drainage procedure is a medical procedure performed on you if you develope a hemotoma (copious build-up of blood that doesn't go away). This is rare and is done by Fielding or any qualified doctor if required.
2. The tensor wrap is like a flexible bandage that you wrap around your chest so that the skin adheres to the chest muscles when healing (so you don't have your nipple sagging down). It also helps correct and speed up the healing process. The compression vest serves the same function, except you have to pay for it your self and it's more like wearing a bullet proof jacket. From my experience the tensor is sufficient enough, though you may get annoyed when it sags downward and makes you itchy.
3. The average time for the tensor/ compression is about 4 weeks post-op. The first week you'll have the foam pads glued over the stiches so a sponge bath is your only option really. After the first week you can shower freely, but be careful that first time, you're chest will be really sensitive.
4. To make sure it goes smoothly, ask the doctor and nurses any questions that you have, make sure to take it easy, and plan ahead. You're mobility is going to be limited, so think about how that will affect you day to day functions. Something as simple as putting a shirt on will be a major pain in your ass when merely lifting your arms feels awkward and (sometimes) painful.

Good luck. It may seem hard and you may have regrets while doing it, but keep in my that it's all worth it.

Edit: while I was writing this Bambu already responded so  some of it may be moot, but not all.  ::) Oh well.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 05:59:34 PM by Creek »

Offline Relief_in_sight

• Posting Member
Thanks Bambu and Creek, I just got one more question I forgot to ask about the drainage...Where does this come out of from your chest and where do all the flurids go to...is there something I have to carry around?

Thanks again

Offline Creek

• Posting Member
The drainage will just leak out of your wounds and get absorbed by the bandages, so you don't have to worry about that. It's really nothing to think about or tend to, it's expected.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Some PS's use a drain tube and small container to collect the fluids. I don't think that Fielding uses drain tubes/bottles very often. However, FB (a.k.a.  Freezer Burnt) had drains put in by JCF. I didn't have drains and the fluid just leaked out and was absorbed by the dressing ( as Creek mentioned ;) ).

John.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024