Author Topic: 5fu shots to reduce scar tissue  (Read 6221 times)

Offline matt70

• Posting Member
Does anyone know or heard of this procedure? I was injected on wed. to dissolve some scar tissue within a few hours my nipple looked like a birdie in a batmittin game I called the Dr. with concern and he assured me that it was normal. It is now Sat. and the swelling has gone down. I was wondering if anyone new about this and can give me some advise.

Offline hope2recover

• Silver Member
hmm well what is the name of the injection?

Offline matt70

• Posting Member
Fluorouracil (5FU) is the name of shot. I guess it used mostly in chemotherapy. It's Monday and it has been 5 days now and they look normal I still have some scar tissue but it smaller than when I showed up there on Wednesday.

Offline bhut2180

• Posting Member
REally that sounds interesting, how bad was your scar tissue?  Reason I ask is I have developed significant swelling and hard as rock scar tissue under my armpits and have wondered if there is anything that can reduce it.

Offline matt70

• Posting Member
The scar tissue was directly under the nipple, the tissue was the size of a toootsie roll candy.

Offline matt70

• Posting Member
Today I went to thr Dr. again for another injection of 5fu, it has been about 4 weeks since the last one which was my first. I would say the scar had shrank about half the size from the first shot. I'm hoping the same for this one. If anyone has had success with this please respond and give input.

Matt

Offline user111

^^bump

This may be a safer and better alternative to Kenalog.  There's little on the web about this, but there are cosmetic surgeons who use it (off-label) instead of cortisone for reducing hypertrophic and internal scar tissue.  Unlike Kenalog that may cause atrophy to surrounding tissue, 5-fu it only targets scar tissue thereby negating the risk of developing indentations. 

If anyone here has had internal scar tissue that's been treated with 5-fu injections, PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW IT TURNED OUT!  Any doctors and/or experts in regard are welcome to chime in as well.  Thanks. :D

Offline user111

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I have heard about 5FU injections into large, recalcitrant keloid scars -- it can work.

For most plastic surgeons, however, kenalog -- when properly administered -- works quite well.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024