Author Topic: Hematoma 17 days after surgery  (Read 3363 times)

Offline Spartan24

Hi.
I had bi-lateral gynecomastia surgery on December 16. It has been 17 days and my right pectoral still has a large hematoma on it. On Monday 29 my surgeon tried draining the hematoma, but could only extract about 30cc with the syringe. He wanted to wait for it to liquefy more, since he said the consistency was like peanut butter. He is going to drain it again on Monday 5th. Is this normal? What should I be doing to improve my recovery? 

Offline Spartan24

So nobody here can help? :-\

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
I just noticed this post, so you've probably already had the problem taken care of.  Did he drain the hematoma yesterday?  Hematomas are uncommon, but they do occur from time to time.  It takes about 10 days or so for clotted blood to liquify, and even then it's pretty thick and may not come out by aspirating with a needle.  You often have to open the surgical closure to get the blood out.
I hope it went well; I'm sure you look great when all of that bruising and swelling go away.  Just follow your surgeon's instructions to the letter.

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline Spartan24

Thanks for the reply. He drained it again yesterday (Monday 5th), he extracted 50cc. I was more of a noticeable change than the first draining session. There area it still swollen, but doesn't look like a small boob anymore, only a little puffiness in the nipple and around it. I have to go back to the surgeon next Monday to see if more draining is necessary.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024