Author Topic: Finally made the decision  (Read 1900 times)

Offline betterchestnow

• Posting Member

I was so close to having the surgery last year, but I let a few well-meaning people talk me out of it. I also decided to get in shape and lost 24 kilos. I looked better, but my chest was still a problem area.

I am convinced that most of my gyneco is just fat rather than gland. Still, it is very hard to spot reduce that specific area

Anyway, it's now a year later and I am more convinced than ever that surgery is the right option for me. After I made the decision to have surgery, I was more inspired, happier, and enthusiastic than I have been in years. When I decided not to have the surgery, I sunk back into the same old depression.

I really think this condition has effected me so much psychologically. I admit that I am scared about possible complications from surgery, with not being satisfied with the final results. But I am more scared of living the rest of my life hiding behind layers of clothes and being embarrassed by my chest. Even if I could get just a 60% improvement, I think I would be happy.

So I do plan to have the surgery by the end of the year and will post an update if anyone is interested. In the meantime, I plan to continue staying in shape, going to the gym, possibly experimenting with a compression garment just to see if that will tighten anything up. But ultimately, I know this condition will not likely go away by itself. The longer I wait to do something about it, I just lose another year of my life being embarrassed.

To all the guys reading this, my heart goes out to you. I have been stressed/depressed by gynecomastia since I was in my teens. It is a real bummer that has a negative effect on all areas of my life. It is hard to be a self confident person when you are so embarrassed about your body. I think even I underestimate what a big effect it has had on my life.

I can't imagine what it would be like to wear a shirt without thinking about my chest. To me, it would truly be like experiencing freedom for the first time. I am so envious of guys with a flat chest who can take off their shirt whenever they want. I have been hiding my body since I was in my teens and I am almost 40 now.

Time to just go for it and have the surgery.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Congrats on your weight loss and good luck on your planned surgery!

Dr JAcobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Jay55

Good for you! 24 kilos? That's quite an accomplishment! We all have to make our own decisions, and although it's nice to get advice and opinions, the final decision on whether to have surgery needs to be our own. Do what is best for YOU. Do what will make you happy. It sure sounds like you've made the right decision. You're already feeling better! Keep us updated, and best wishes on your continued healthy lifestyle and upcoming surgery!

Offline rhyno18

• Bronze Member
Good luck, I hope it goes well.  I'm a little over a year removed from my (second) surgery and it was absolutely the best decision I made.  I didn't do my research the first time and didn't pick the right doctor.  But the second one was fantastic. 

I used to think about my chest every single day since I was 16.  Layered clothes, being self conscious.  After my surgery, I got serious about fitness.  I suddenly didn't mind wearing dry fit shirts.  I took up running and lost a good amount of weight.  I also hit the gym...spending way too much time on my chest, lol.

My heart goes out to everyone still suffering with it... Most people have no idea how it effects you.

Offline betterchestnow

• Posting Member
Thanks for the comments, Dr. Jacobs, Jay, and Ryno.

I watched a video (can't remember where) and the guy was saying that you can't look at gynecomastia as just a PHYSICAL condition. Because obviously physically it's not life threatening or health threatening in most cases.

To get the full picture, you have to look at physical, mental, social, etc. I could really relate to this observation. My gyneco HAS had a huge negative effect on my health because it's been such a source of stress and shame. When I think of it that way, I'm totally confident that having the surgery is worthwhile. Not being ashamed of my body and having the confidence to wear a tight shirt with no undershirt or coat to "cover up" my chest will be amazing.

I think before when I talked myself out of the surgery, I was just looking at it from the perspective of a physical condition. But you really have to look at it more holistically to understand. It's not just what your body looks like -- it's also what's in your head, the norms of society, how it makes you feel about yourself. If all that is taken into account, it really gives a better picture.

The last time I was asking myself if I really want to have surgery and overthinking it, I just said to myself, "Look, do you want boobs or not?" (Sorry if this sounds very blunt.)

My answer was "No, I don't. Life is short and it's getting shorter the older I get. I'm having the surgery. Having all that fat on my chest does not make me feel confident as a man. It's taking away from my life."

I really think it's ultimately as simple as that. I only hope my surgery will go well. But even if it's just a 50% improvement, I think it still will have been worthwhile.

Anyway, thanks for this forum. It's refreshing to talk openly about this subject. Part of the stress of having this is not being able to discuss it with anyone.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024