Author Topic: Smoking before surgery  (Read 4468 times)

Offline Angel_of_Death

• Silver Member
My surgery is in 2 days, I was instructed not to smoke 2 weeks before surgery.

I smoked both pot and cigarettes up until today.  :(

How is this going to affect the surgery ?

GynO_DuDe

Probably won't effect it ... but doctors usually advise things for a reason, for your well being, and so your 100% on the operation day.

Either way you'll be fine. Good luck!

Offline DCBR78

• Silver Member
Patients who smoke are 12 times more likely to develop healing problems than non-smokers. In particular, patients who smoke and who have breast reductions or other procedures that create skin "flaps," are more prone to healing complications.The carbon monoxide in cigarette smoke greatly reduces the blood's ability to carry oxygen, which is essential for wound healing.  Smoking slows healing, and if a skin "flap" was used, the wound may not heal at all. Anesthesiologists are responsible for keeping you alive while you are under general anesthesia.  Countless studies have shown that smokers have a tendency to develop harsh coughs and an elevated heart rate.  Smoking decreases the proper functioning of the lungs and airways and your body's ability to fight infection. It also affects the blood vessels, the heart, and the blood pressure. Additionally,  there is a higher incidence of blood clots in smokers after surgery.There are many plastic surgeons who will not even think about performing surgery on a smoking patient.  Some plastic surgeons will instruct you to cease smoking two weeks prior to and two weeks following surgery If you cannot give up smoking for one to two weeks before and after the operation, your surgeon may want you to rethink your decision to have plastic surgery..

I hope for your sake he doesnt postpone the surgery. Just remember to be upfront with him. I'm not a smoker, but I was curious myself, so I asked the same question.
Surgery Date: April 9, 2008.
Surgeon: Dr. J C Fielding. (Toronto)
Result: Life is getting better with every day.

Offline Angel_of_Death

• Silver Member
There is no way I will push this surgery to a later date. I will take the gamble and hope for the best.

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
This is what my surgeon told me:

"The nicotine of the tobacco causes the blood vessels of the body to constrict.  This not only raises the blood pressure, but may also affect the circulation of the tissues handled during surgery and produce necrosis (dead tissue), delayed healing etc.

The carbon monoxide inhaled replaces some oxygen in the blood.  This means that tissues, organs and muscles in the body do not get their normal supply of oxygen.  This is undesirable under normal conditions and certainly hinders healing after surgery.

You will need to stop smoking about a month before surgery and for a month after."
Surgery done 18th March 2008

Offline DCBR78

• Silver Member
There is no way I will push this surgery to a later date. I will take the gamble and hope for the best.

Listen to what your saying... You're taking a surgery that has minimal risk and potentially allowing to be a big deal. At my consultation, I had a huge questionaire to fill out. Questions about smoking, medical history, previous surgeries. It doesnt always mean that they wont perform the surgery if you dont have a perfect score on the questions. But, it can mean that there may need to be some provisions made. They ask if you've had problems with anestetic. If you've come out of it having a siezure and ouking blood.. you need to say yes, so they can take provisions so you.. I dont know, DONT DIE in recovery, maybe it needs to be done at a hospital instead of a clinic. You need to be fair to the surgeon and give him all the information so he can do his job properly. If you screwed up, then tell him. It's like eating the day of surgery, maybe theyd cancel, maybe they'd bump you to the next day, maybe they'd pump your stomach. They need to know. It's not just about you. It's not just another day at the office for a PS to kill someone on their table... At least I hope not. Beyond that, maybe it's just new information you need for the recovery because of the smoking side effects.

GynO_DuDe

Wow, I had no idea about the implications.

Personally i'd tell my surgeon and see what he says. If postponed, let it be! ... You want it done properly, and want a one-off operation. Its not cool going back twice mate!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024