Author Topic: Is scar tissue only hardened gland tissue?  (Read 5010 times)

Offline ddrop

• Bronze Member
Well,is it? Will it only soften out during time or will it go away completely?

Offline flmb

• Posting Member
how can it be hardened gland tissue if the gland was removed? I had alot of scar tissue but it has been going away daily without massaging. i was planning on massaging the area but its going away on its own pretty fast.

Offline ddrop

• Bronze Member
not all of your gland was removed. doctors tend to leave some so a crater isn't formed. what did your doc tell you?

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Scar tissue is not gland tissue.  A number of processes occur within the tissue as it heals.  Fluids can collect, either blood or serum (liquid part of blood) and that fluid will eventually resorb.  But scar tissue is solid collagen produced by specific cells, whether it's deep tissue or a scar on the skin's surface.  Scar tissue goes through a process called remoldeling, and over time, sometimes up to a year, collagen is laid down and resorbed until the process is complete.

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline ddrop

• Bronze Member
So all of the hard tissue will eventualy go away? Will the skin follow this process reshaping itself, since my nipples are now puffy again and i won't be wearing a garment after week 4?
Thanks doc, you're a life-saver ;D

• Supporting Doctors
Hard to say, but it does take a long time for scar tissue to go away.  Sometimes it doesn't, and it has to be excised.  I usually recommend patients continue with some type of pressure garment for awhile after the initial two weeks of compression.  Maybe an UnderArmour vest or similar.  Can't hurt.

Dr. Pope, M.D.

Offline ddrop

• Bronze Member
If it doesn't go away is some kind of other treatment available instead of excision? Im thinking of some kind of shots i heard of?

Does wearing the vest after that time affect scar tissue or do you recommend it for other reasons - eg. swelling and skin reshapement?

Offline 10101

• Posting Member
if scar tissue is excised, wont that just cause more scar tissue...?

Offline flmb

• Posting Member
what about massaging the scar tissue? i read on here that many people massage the scars and it helps.

• Supporting Doctors
True, any time you operate, scar tissue forms.  You just hope that an excess amount won't.  Sometimes steroids are injected to help reduce or shrink scar tissue.  That issue has been covered before on these boards.  Massage does help will resolution of swelling and tends to keep the tissue smooth.  Once scar tissue forms, though, massage doesn't really reduce it.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Pope, M.D.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024