Author Topic: 1 year after surgery  (Read 3786 times)

Offline blast

Wow, it's been almost a year since my surgery. January 2009 was a new beginning for me. As I look-back at what I went through, I cannot but wonder, why I didn't do this sooner?!

Honestly, I don't know why I felt like writing. Maybe, that's what nostalgia does to people... Hopefully, someone will read it and a year from now, write a similar message :)

At the age of 25, I decided I had enough. I spent over 15 years dealing with the stares, comments and laughs of others. Sure, after a while, you get used to that lifestyle... making up stories on why you can't go to the beach, justifying that loose shirts are actually part of your style, pretending that people smiling/lauging with you, and not at you... It's easy to pretend in front of others, a smile suffice, but it's hard to lie to yourself. Indeed, whenever I'd pass in front of a mirror, I would look at my shirt, When I would get nervous, I would readjust my shirt. And trust me, there's nothing more humiliating than a sudden gaze of a women, looking at your breasts, when you're making love to them.

Whenever these events would occur, deep-down I felt sad, since it reminded me that I was different that the norm. I ended up on this forum and found courage and guidance for looking into surgery. If you haven't notice, Dr. Fielding is quite popular on these boards; hence, I decided to give his clinic a call.

I got an appointment within 2 weeks of the call. Went there, the doctor was great; answered all my questions and we had a chat about random stuff. After the appointment, my surgery was scheduled! Two months later, I was on the cutting board, doctor starting drawing on my chest.., a first and hopefully the last experience of that kind :P Woke up, had ton of people come by and look at me, Funny thing was that I was placed in a room with another patient with the same surgery. Had some apple juice and other useless hospital food for 2 days. When to the hotel to sleep a bit more. The next day, that was it, I just flew back home. Fifteen years of misery vanished with a simple phone call!

The weeks afterwards weren't necessarily that great. Swelling, pain and bruises where all too common. As the weeks progressed, it became better, to the point that, three months afterwards, I did not feel anything. In fact, I was constantly wearing t-shits. I loved it! Moment like that make you realize that it was worth it. I still recall the day I went to a friend's place for a party; confidently entering the room with a fitted dress shirt and suddenly, getting smiles, getting attention, being told that I looked great and even getting stares... the good ones ;). I know, I know, it just sounds so cliché, but I know and I feel that I have changed. I have more confidence and I feel rejuvenated, as if I can accomplish more than before.

When did I had the surgery? A year ago.
Which doctor? Dr. Fielding
Is he good? Well, he's the only one I had surgery with :P
Why did I select him? Read postings of other people. I felt conformable with him after meeting him. Close enough to where I live.
Did it hurt? Not during (obviously!), but afterwards yes. It lasted at least couple of weeks.
Could you wear a shirt right afterwards? No, lots of bandages and applying pressure to the chest was painful. Raising my arms was painful too.
Was the stay in the hospital ok? Yes, well, I slept most of the time. Nurses also were a bit uncomfortable talking about the operation, which I would to be hilarious. As for the food, it's hospital food.
Was the stay in the hotel ok? Yes, great place. No discounts and it was a bit far, not really walking distance after an operation.
Was the surgery expensive? I reside in Quebec, hence I pay more. Also, you have to consider all the other costs, such as travel and time away from work. Then, tally everything and divided by the number of years you estimate you will live.
Did I take vacation for the surgery? Yes, the surgery was on wednesday, I took 3 days off. I was back at work on Monday... like nothing ever happened... hehehe.. 
Any scars? Yes, on the nipples and below the chest, there's 2 dots... but nobody has ever noticed them.
Results? Great. Of course, if I want to be stupidly perfectionist, one of the breast is stilly bigger than the other... but who cares! I have to stare at myself for couple of minutes before seeing that difference.
Suggestions / Comments?
1) do it
2) no, really, you have to do it.
3) see 1 and 2.
4) before meeting the doctor, get you questions ready.
5) Remember, it's a fast process, after the meeting, you'll probably be scheduled for the operation. If you need more time, then say it, don't be afraid.
6) If you have someone close to you, that you trust, then bring them to the surgery. There were times I wished I had someone near by to talk to.
7) Wear sweaters for while after the surgery, anything loose.
8) Try to loose weight before the surgery, it improves the results.
9) If someone ask you that something has changed in you, just say either "I've lost weight (you'll have to justify how)" or "Ahh, I see you're checking me out! (and smile)"
10) Don't do any major activities for a month and a half.
11) After 3-4 months, you'll stop thinking about your chest. Really! Honestly! I'm telling the truth! I don't know why, but you just move on with life :)
12) Finally, if you are reading these forums, then you know that at a certain level, gynecomastia affects you. Now, I'm not here to convince you about surgery. That is a major step to take and it has to be taken individually. But ask yourself, in 40 years from now, when you'll be retired and sitting on porch drinking lemonade, what will you regret the most? the fact that you spent a lifetime THINKING about getting yourself fixed or that you were in pain for couple of months so that you could live the rest your life!

Aright, that's it, I'm tired of typing.

Offline steelhead

• Silver Member
Thanks for posting wish more people post after their surgery results of at least a year or longer.
So we can get the full story.
Hey I might be doing the same next year   :-*
Good luck.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
blast...

Brilliant post dude!

Thanks for sharing...  ;)

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline technics777

• Bronze Member
Nice! can you post pictures of the scars?

Offline dondante

• Gold Member
Great post, I'm 1 year and 3 months removed from my operation and am thankful everyday that I did it!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I'm 1 year and 3 months removed from my operation and am thankful everyday that I did it!

Isn't it the truth eh? ;)

Awesome dude... Glad to hear! 

GB...

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024