Author Topic: ADOLESCENT GYNECOMASTIA ON "THE DOCTORS" TV SHOW MAY 10th  (Read 8446 times)

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I was invited to participate on "The Doctors" TV show, which is a nationally syndicated program devoted to medical issues.  The show will describe treatment of a 15 year old boy with severe, asymmetric gynecomastia.

It will be broadcast nationally on Monday May 10th.  Be sure to tune in or Tivo it.  You can check your local listings at:  http://www.thedoctorstv.com/main/local_listings

Dr Jacobs

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 08:39:20 AM by Dr. Elliot Jacobs »
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline dondante

• Gold Member
Congrats on the great exposure that should get you. Can't think of someone more deserving  :)

Offline Idlewild

• Posting Member
I will be sure to tune in! Thanks for helping to shine light on this condition :) Are you planning on addressing the surgical techniques?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Unfortunately, there is limited time and I could not elaborate on the surgical techniques. (Some of the surgery is shown, however). 

However, my main point was directed to parents who may not be aware that something is happening with their son (who may not communicate his concerns to the parents) and to young men who have this condition and who do not know that there is something that can be done to help them.

I also spoke about the myths that diet and exericise can make gyne disappear.

Too many adolescents go through their teen years, patiently waiting for their gyne to miraculously disappear, and it doesn't!

Dr Jacobs

Offline Eric Robertson

• Bronze Member
  • It's time to spread the word about Gynecomastia
Hey all,

It's me, Eric, and you may know me from Discovery Health Channel's: Plastic Surgery Before and After where Dr. Elliot Jacobs performed surgery on and corrected my severe gynecomastia. Well, I am proud to say that he will be appearing tomorrow, May 10, on the hit show series, The Doctors. Here is the info given to me by Dr. Elliot Jacobs himself:

"If you, or someone you know, is suffering from this condition, there is
help. View Dr. Elliot Jacobs, nationally respect expert and Board Certified
Plastic Surgeon, on THE DOCTORS, May 10th, as he discusses this condition with a young teen and his family. View a live surgery and pre and post op photos on WCBS, Channel 2, at 9 AM.

In other cities, http:www.thedoctorstv.com/main/local listings"

Hope all of the individuals on this site take the time to watch it. Dr. Elliot Jacobs means a great deal to me and it would really mean a lot to me if you watched it tomorrow.

Thanks for everything guys,

Eric

Surgery Date: 6/06/06
Surgeon: Dr. Elliot Jacobs M.D., F.A.C.S., F.I.C.S., P.C.
Procedure: Liposuction and incision under the nipple.
Cost: $6,500
Discovery Health: Plastic Surgery Before and After I was featured in: http://www.gynecomastianewyork.com/teen_dhc_video1.html

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery

Offline Emmitsm03

• Bronze Member
im gunna tell my mom to get me a pool! haha i love it.. Good job Dr Elliot Jacobs.

Offline Eric Robertson

• Bronze Member
I posted something on this site earlier about the show being aired today, however, it was moved?

Dr. Jacobs: Although time was limited on the show today, I felt that you did an excellent job of explaining why exercise and weight loss will not help someone with gynecomastia. I thought the audience was also to understand you a bit more with the props that you had on stage with you (i.e. the breast tissue and the cross-section of the breast).

All in all, great show and keep up with the good work. I'm spreading the word at my university and making everyone aware of this devastating condition. I makes me feel great when I think about all of lives you've saved. Too bad insurance companies don't look at it that way.

Yours truly and with much respect,
-Eric

Offline carguy

• Gold Member
  • boobfree 2003!!
I caught the show by chance. That young man should be commended for having the guts to go up there.
I think the Doc did an excellent job explaining the issue as well.
All in all, a very good show for its short duration.
They could've easily gone more in depth with the psychological aspects but it was still good.

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I agree with you -- I had wanted to discuss the psychological ramifications of gyne but the show was limited in time.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Eric Robertson

• Bronze Member
Yeah that's very true. They literally only gave you about ten minutes, Dr. Jacobs.

This is a much more serious issue.

-Eric

Offline dondante

• Gold Member
Great segment! Kid really looks like he has a new lease on life. Well done Doc!

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
For those who missed the live show, you can view it (mostly) in two segments at these links:

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/main/procedure_list/1683

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/main/procedure_list/1684

This is a 15 year old boy with an unusual, bilateral, asymmetric gynecomastia with severe puffy nipple deformities.  The post-op photo which was shown was only four days after surgery.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Way to go Doc J...  Cool vid!

Did you discuss 'how' Gynecomastia develops at all?

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Thanks, Grandpa!

There is just so much to discuss about gyne -- and simply not enough time allotted on this show or any other show.

The problem is that although gyne is a significant situation to those who have it, it is not a live threatening condition.  So the media pays more attention to other health issues which it deems more universally interesting. I can understand their point of view. 

I was glad to make just one point:  that adolescent gyne doesn't disappear as most pediatricians promise to their young patients.  And that parents should take a more pro-active stance in advocating for their young sons.  There is no need for a youngster like Troy to wait in vain during his teen and early adult years for his gyne to spontaneously disappear.  And although I had very little time, I did try to stress that diet and exercise are not a cure for this condition, either.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024