Author Topic: 34 and developed gyno  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Frustrated01

Hello everyone.  I'm 34, and over the last 6 months, I've developed a case of gyno.  I have been to one doctor so far, and my blood tests don't show any hormone imbalance or anything that seems to be off.  At first it wasn't very noticeable, but it's getting to the point that it's embarrassing - it was basically puffy nipples at first (didn't pay much attention since I have nipple piercings and thought it was just irritation from those, and they caused my nipples to get a bit larger anyhow) but now they are starting to stick out a bit since it seems there has been actual tissue growth. I'm quite concerned since my PC didn't find anything off.  It's an embarrassing problem and one I don't know how to fix, I've done some research and it seems that sometimes the cause can't really be determined and that definitely concerns me. I don't know where else to go from here. 

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
First, you should go to an endocrinologist for a battery of very specific hormone tests. Then, look at the possible side effects of any medications that you may be taking.  Then stop any OTC supplements you may be taking.  This may be a start for you.

Dr Jacobs 
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I cannot improve on the excellent advice of Dr. Jacobs.  
Onset at your age is most unusual, there is usually a clear reason why it is happening and Dr Jacobs gave you the key to finding it.   
Grandpa Dan

Offline Frustrated01

Thanks guys, I'll look at endocrinologists in my area.  The physician looked at my estradiol and testosterone levels along with shbg and said they looked normal.  What other tests should be run?  I take zyrtec and flonase for allergies but no other OTC medications.  Healthy otherwise with no other symptoms.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
An endocrinologist, faced with recent onset gyne, will know which additional tests will be required.  Among them will be more sophisticated testosterone and estrogen tests, FSH, prolactin, thyroid function, etc.

I am not aware of gyne side effects from your two meds.  We are assuming you are not taking any nutritional supplements, prohormones, protein shakes with unknown ingredients, etc.

And if all the tests prove to be negative, you have to be ready to accept the fact that sometimes we just can't figure it out.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Frustrated01

An endocrinologist, faced with recent onset gyne, will know which additional tests will be required.  Among them will be more sophisticated testosterone and estrogen tests, FSH, prolactin, thyroid function, etc.

I am not aware of gyne side effects from your two meds.  We are assuming you are not taking any nutritional supplements, prohormones, protein shakes with unknown ingredients, etc.

And if all the tests prove to be negative, you have to be ready to accept the fact that sometimes we just can't figure it out.

Dr Jacobs

I am taking mega red krill oil but no other supplements or shakes, no daily vitamins, etc.  

I'll make some calls tomorrow to get additional tests booked.  Hopefully it can be figured out and is nothing terribly serious and is reversible.  

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024