Author Topic: First consultation  (Read 3442 times)

Offline outkast

• Bronze Member
If im gonna get my first consultation wat do i need to bring and wat exactly does the doctor do....does he just check me out and give me an estimate on how much it will cost..or does he do blood test or look through past medical history...im just worried ill get denied surgery....

Offline mannyman742

• Silver Member
Bring your identification, and health care card.  They will walk you through every step and make you feel comfortable, so all you need is those two things, and your gyne.  They will evaluate your condition, and give you a surgery estimate, usually no blood test.  You will fill out forms on past medical issues and if you're on current medication for anything you'll need to list that.  If you've gone to the lengths of getting a consultation, I doubt you'll be denied.
Good luck, and ask as many questions as you can.

Offline sic75

• Posting Member
Why would hee need his health care card if he is paying for it on his own?

Offline mannyman742

• Silver Member
Why would hee need his health care card if he is paying for it on his own?

I don't really know for sure, both docs I saw took down my insurance information.  It may be for other reasons, say something goes wrong during surgery that requires emergency treatment, your healthcare provider may cover.

Offline captklenk

• Posting Member
 Who is your insurance with? Are you in the USA? My surgery was paid for by Anthem Blue Cross, but various requirements had to be met.
generally at the very least there must be glandular tissue (not just fat), and pain.

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
When it comes to choosing your doctor, make sure that the doctor is a member of the ASPS and is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (they typically have more training and experience). For your consultation, the most important part is asking questions. You should be getting to know the doctor, his/her office staff, seeing before and after photos and should be given the opportunity to ask as many questions as you need. For my patients, the consultation starts with a patient coordinator who goes through everything from the results you are looking for through the procedure and recovery time. Then, you would meet with me and I would talk with you about your medical history and get more information about exactly what you want to look like. I would then decide the best method for the procedure. Then the patient coordinator would give you your quote and discuss dates.

All doctors are different in their process, but however the consultation goes, you need to trust the doctor and feel comfortable with the procedure.
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

Offline Dr Kapoor

• Bronze Member
    • Dr. Kapoor, Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon
Quote from: Dr. Cruise link=topic=15824.msg110280#msg110280 date=1223423804
When it comes to choosing your doctor, make sure that the doctor is a member of the ASPS and is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (they typically have more training and experience). For your consultation, the most important part is asking questions. You should be getting to know the doctor, his/her office staff, seeing before and after photos and should be given the opportunity to ask as many questions as you need. For my patients, the consultation starts with a patient coordinator who goes through everything from the results you are looking for through the procedure and recovery time. Then, you would meet with me and I would talk with you about your medical history and get more information about exactly what you want to look like. I would then decide the best method for the procedure. Then the patient coordinator would give you your quote and discuss dates.

All doctors are different in their process, but however the consultation goes, you need to trust the doctor and feel comfortable with the procedure.

I agree completely with Dr. Cruise on all points - especially when it comes to selecting a surgeon who is a member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgery) and who is Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. There are many other types of certifications (American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery - which is really a not a board that is recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties). And of course, make sure you are comfortable with the surgeon, look at plenty of before / after pictures, and even speak with other patients.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Quote from: Dr. Cruise link=topic=15824.msg110280#msg110280 date=1223423804

I agree completely with Dr. Cruise on all points - especially when it comes to selecting a surgeon who is a member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgery) and who is Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. There are many other types of certifications (American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery - which is really a not a board that is recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties). And of course, make sure you are comfortable with the surgeon, look at plenty of before / after pictures, and even speak with other patients.

Amen!  I agree with everything these docs have said.  It's very confusing to the public when you see all kinds of docs calling themselves plastic surgeons or cosmetic surgeons or aesthetic surgeons.  Look for "Certified by The American Board of PLASTIC Surgery".

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024