Author Topic: My surgery experience with Dr. Fielding  (Read 3212 times)

Offline RandomCanadian

Hey guys, it's been two days since my surgery and I'd like to share my surgery experience for anyone like myself who seeks as much info as possible from those who've been through the gynecomastia curse.

The exact procedure I underwent was Bilateral Excision Gynecomastia.

On the road to surgery:
After I finally made the decision to change my life I called Dr. Fielding's office to book a consultation, this was in mid July and the earliest appointment I could get was late August. With the date booked my motivation to drop the weight I gained in college kicked in to gear and in the time leading up to my consultation I managed to shed 20lbs, which is only half of my goal, but glass half full right?

It was my idea that the more fat you had, the more the surgery cost.. absolutely not true. My brother's surgery one year before cost 1600 plus tax and mine was 1800 plus tax (1890 total), which I was more than happy to pay. Less than 2k for a lifetime of relief and confidence? That's a steal in my book but I know that's difficult to come by for some, especially students, but there are a few loan or credit paths one can take that Dr. Fielding supports. I believe the surgery cost is at the sole discretion of Dr. Fielding, but assume that if you require lypo expect to be around 2k. OHIP covers a portion of the surgery and the cost of the hospital stay which is over a grand for one night.. definitely glad I'm Canadian.

The nearest surgery date available was Oct. 7th so I had to do a second consultation with Dr. Fielding a week before the surgery where he just went over the procedure again and I filled out the paperwork as well as instructed on what to do on the day of the surgery.

Day of surgery:
The surgery was booked for 12:30pm so I had to be checked in for 10:00am. I live 2 hours from Toronto but the traffic into Toronto during the morning is horrific so we left closer to 7:00am and I arrived at the hospital right at 10.

At check in I signed some papers and got my bracelet and then directed to the surgical waiting area where I had to change into the horrid gown and sit still for 2 and a half hours.

I stand at 6ft so the gown only dropped to about mid thigh which was very awkward as coming out of the change room EVERYONE in the waiting area stared at me, however the area is split into about 4 sections divided by walls so there is some privacy. I quickly found a seat in the corner, said my farewells to my parents and waited out my time.

After about an hour I was called by a nurse and thought it was my turn to go but she only brought me to an area to check my pulse, temp, and weight, then sent me back.

Another hour and half or so I sat nervously thinking this waiting would never end then finally a surgical nurse came to get me, had me put my stuff into a locker in the waiting area, and placed me in a smaller seating area, asked some more medical questions then went to get the anesthesiologist Dr. Ferguson who was very nice. He then came out, asked some more medical questions and explained what he would be doing. Soon after the nurse came back out to get me and then lead me to the surgery room.

In the surgery room there waited Dr. Fielding and several other support people. He had me sit up on the bed, which looked like a cross but with the arms angled downwards sort of like an airplane, and took some pictures then drew around the area with a marker then had me lay down. The nurse covered me up nicely with a very warm blanket and I felt very cozy, but still very nervous.

As Dr. Ferguson hooked me up to the monitor everyone commented that my heart was beating as fast as a newborn child's which was fair as I was about as terrified as one.

Dr. Ferguson went to hook up the IV but couldn't find a vein in my hand so went with the vein in my wrist below my thumb and my lord did it hurt. It hurt the first time he tried and it hurt even more the second attempt. Next they put an oxygen mask over my mouth and said to take some deep breaths.

After taking 2 breaths I thought to myself "I wonder if I'll be one of those people who are conscious during surgery".. at least that's what I wanted to think 'cos halfway through the thought I woke up in recovery.

Waking up I wasn't completely aware of where I was and I'm pretty sure I was still under the effect of something as I started prodding the nurse sitting by my bed and speaking nonsense. I did know however that my throat was on fire from the tube placed during surgery and I definitely made it known to the nurse since I was spouting everything that passed through my mind if it made sense or not and she started feeding me ice.

Dr. Fielding came over to my bed shortly after and said that the surgery was very successful and went on his way.

Right after they moved me to another bed and then to my room. The time was about 2:00pm so I'm guessing the whole procedure took a bit over an hour which was surprising because my brother's surgery was well over 4 hours.

Recovery:
The nursing staff was incredible. So kind, caring, and gentle. They came in often to check my status, take my pulse and temp, and see how I was doing pain wise.

My roommate had sleep apnea and snored like a two tonne mountain ox huffing a 10ft line of coke every breath so that kept me awake for the first few hours, but he was very nice and apologized several times when he was awake so I didn't mind in the end.

For several hours after my surgery and well into the evening I felt no pain at all until my first trip to the bathroom. When I got back I started to feel sore which soon turned into a sensation similar to that of someone digging out my insides with a hot rusty fork.

My tip: As soon as you start to feel soreness TAKE THE PILL!!

I told the nurse that I was in pain during her next visit and she called in the head nurse who brought me a percocet and a sandwich. The pill took an hour to take effect and as soon as it did I felt much better and was able to fall asleep.

My sleep was very intermittent, waking up every hour or so and being awake for about an hour in between rests. The pain came back in the middle of the night so I asked for another percocet and went back to sleep when it kicked in.

At about 7:00am I was awoken by a woman who said she worked for Dr. Fielding and was surrounded by a group of people I assume were interns or students who said nothing and stared coldly as she undid my vest and checked underneath. This was the only time I felt somewhat uncomfortable, but it was only for a minute. She closed up my vest and said there was almost no swelling or bruising and they were on their way.

At 8:30 I was preparing to check out and Dr. Fielding made a visit and talked about my surgery a bit. He said he was able to take out a fair sized hard chunk of gland from each side and about a cup of fat. I am very grateful to Dr. Fielding.

Soon after the nurse came in and removed my IV and gave me the instruction sheet for proper care and a prescription for percocet from Dr. Fielding.

My parents picked me up and the two hour drive home was unusually nauseating and painfully bumpy. As soon as I got home I quickly got into bed and slept for almost an entire day.

Wrap up:
I'm sorry but I did not take any before pictures, but Dr. Fielding did so if you consult with him I'm sure they can be made available. If I can be descriptive my chest looked normal and somewhat muscular coming from the armpit downwards then curved back outwards forward and to the sides, and my nipples were very puffy and inverted.

I absolutely recommend Dr. Fielding, he treats everyone like dear friends and is so genuinely kind and supportive.

If anyone has any questions regarding anything please ask, don't suffer alone and don't keep yourself in the dark like I did most of my life.

Take care guys.

EDIT: I originally posted this in the stories section, but feel it's better placed here.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
At check in I signed some papers and got my bracelet and then directed to the surgical waiting area where I had to change into the horrid gown and sit still for 2 and a half hours.

Sure is a long time to wait huh? Leslie should forewarn the guys that there will be a lengthy wait prior to surgery and that they should bring a book, mp3 player or PSP to keep their minds occupied.

While I was waiting to be called, I had the pleasure of talking with a nice young girl who was in for a surgery. She was telling me how her b/f wouldn't go to the hospital with her. She was not impressed! I felt bad for her...

As Dr. Ferguson hooked me up to the monitor everyone commented that my heart was beating as fast as a newborn child's which was fair as I was about as terrified as one.

;D ;D ;D

I realize this is nothing to laugh about but....  I have to say, that made me smile dude...  ;)

I absolutely recommend Dr. Fielding, he treats everyone like dear friends and is so genuinely kind and supportive.

Yes... JCF is a very nice man!

Congrats and thanks for sharing dude!

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Travelbum

• Posting Member
Congratulations Random Canadian,
I am three weeks older than you (my surgery was Sept 23) and I really enjoyed reliving the experience from your vantage point.  Who did your brother's surgery?  Is he happy with his results?  You sure are right about Dr. Fielding.  Good Man!

Offline RandomCanadian

While I was waiting to be called, I had the pleasure of talking with a nice young girl who was in for a surgery. She was telling me how her b/f wouldn't go to the hospital with her. She was not impressed! I felt bad for her...

Aw that sounds nice.. the only person near me was a woman waiting for her husband who decided to pack herself plenty of food and chowed down. Trust me, everyone in gowns gave her the dirty eye.

I realize this is nothing to laugh about but....  I have to say, that made me smile dude...  ;)

;D

Congratulations Random Canadian,
I am three weeks older than you (my surgery was Sept 23) and I really enjoyed reliving the experience from your vantage point.  Who did your brother's surgery?  Is he happy with his results?  You sure are right about Dr. Fielding.  Good Man!

Thank you! Congrats to you as well  :D

My brother's surgery was also with Dr. Fielding a year ago and he said it changed his life soon after. I wanted to go for the surgery when he did but I still had a year of college left and worked manual labour to pay for tuition so had to hold off till now.

Sponges come off on wednesday, can't wait to see the results!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
the only person near me was a woman waiting for her husband who decided to pack herself plenty of food and chowed down. Trust me, everyone in gowns gave her the dirty eye.

The nerve of some people huh?

GB...

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024