Author Topic: One sided Gyne  (Read 4240 times)

Offline Mauranius

• Posting Member
Dear readers,

As you might have noticed from the forum topic I have one sided Gyne. It was diagnosed last year after I finally got the guts to visit a doctor for my condition. At this moment I am a 22 year old Dutch Veterinarian student, and the onset of the one sided gyneacomastia started around the age of 16/17.

I was mostly disturbed by the fact that it was on one side, being a veterinarian, I was taught about all the nasty tumors and diseases that affect animals (Most diseases humans have animals can get them as well, including Gyne).

First of all let me tell you what happened when I came at the doctor. She said she didn't knew if it was Gyne or a tumor so they send me to the general hospital where I underwent a mammography, which was inconclusive. Then they send me to do an Echo of the affected tissue which was still inconclusive but they said it resembled normal breast tissue. Now I know they should have done a biopsy, but that wasn't performed.

Now to go into my history and personal statistics. I am rather small of length (1.73 meter) surely since my dad is 1.70 meter, my mother 1.73 meter, my older brother 2.05 meter and my younger brother 1.90 meter. Neither of them have Gyne. I am fairly obese (87.1 KG) and my special weighing scale told me I got about 30% fat, which in my opinion is largely only collected in my belly area. I've been diagnosed with Asthma since birth and I've been taking corticosteroids and Beta-2 Blockers for that frequently until the age of 15 when I stopped using them, because I was less prone to get an attack. At the age of 21, the same time my gyneacomastia was diagnosed, I noticed I couldn't breathe through my mouth very well. They then discovered I presented Nasal Polyps for which I'm getting in intra-nasal corticosteroid treatment, as well as antihistaminica to decrease the nasal mucosa reaction. On top of this I present a very dry mouth and a high intake of water. Also I present excess sweating, as well as heat intolerance. Also I have the feeling my Penis is of below average size (length 5 cm, width 2 cm flaccid).

I know it is a lot of information and I've been searching myself for endocrine disorders that could have given me these symptoms, but it just doesn't fit in. My doctor didn't seem to pay as much attention to most of the facts I've given her, but that's maybe because,as you noticed, I am "playing" doctor myself as well. As to the fact that I am rather fat, I am currently doing 2 sports (hockey & rugby), and I try to skeeler at least once a week. It isn't easy because my study is pretty hard and most of the time I am forced to study. Just whenever I get the time I try and do that to keep up my health. My diet is... well bad... Unfortunately I'm not a very good cook and mostly if I eat at all I eat a few slices of brown or white bread, mainly with cheese or sliced meat. But I also like eating fruit & vegetables, mainly apples, mandarins, grapes, cucumber and tomato. I do have a high dietary caffeine intake (2 coffee and 1 cheap "red bull" like substance at least every day. I hardly drink alcohol, only on party's which are maybe 10 times a year.

I haven't considered treatment (as in surgery) yet, since I do not have the money for such an operation.

So my question for you is; Are there any more people with one sided gyneacomastia that presented more symptoms like me? And perhaps anyone has a clue if what I have is really Gyne, and maybe I should re-consider to go to the doctor again and ask for a biopsy?

Thanks in advance!

Mauranius

DrBermant

Dear readers,

As you might have noticed from the forum topic I have one sided Gyne. It was diagnosed last year after I finally got the guts to visit a doctor for my condition. At this moment I am a 22 year old Dutch Veterinarian student, and the onset of the one sided gyneacomastia started around the age of 16/17.

I was mostly disturbed by the fact that it was on one side, being a veterinarian, I was taught about all the nasty tumors and diseases that affect animals (Most diseases humans have animals can get them as well, including Gyne).

First of all let me tell you what happened when I came at the doctor. She said she didn't knew if it was Gyne or a tumor so they send me to the general hospital where I underwent a mammography, which was inconclusive. Then they send me to do an Echo of the affected tissue which was still inconclusive but they said it resembled normal breast tissue. Now I know they should have done a biopsy, but that wasn't performed.

Now to go into my history and personal statistics. I am rather small of length (1.73 meter) surely since my dad is 1.70 meter, my mother 1.73 meter, my older brother 2.05 meter and my younger brother 1.90 meter. Neither of them have Gyne. I am fairly obese (87.1 KG) and my special weighing scale told me I got about 30% fat, which in my opinion is largely only collected in my belly area. I've been diagnosed with Asthma since birth and I've been taking corticosteroids and Beta-2 Blockers for that frequently until the age of 15 when I stopped using them, because I was less prone to get an attack. At the age of 21, the same time my gyneacomastia was diagnosed, I noticed I couldn't breathe through my mouth very well. They then discovered I presented Nasal Polyps for which I'm getting in intra-nasal corticosteroid treatment, as well as antihistaminica to decrease the nasal mucosa reaction. On top of this I present a very dry mouth and a high intake of water. Also I present excess sweating, as well as heat intolerance. Also I have the feeling my Penis is of below average size (length 5 cm, width 2 cm flaccid).

I know it is a lot of information and I've been searching myself for endocrine disorders that could have given me these symptoms, but it just doesn't fit in. My doctor didn't seem to pay as much attention to most of the facts I've given her, but that's maybe because,as you noticed, I am "playing" doctor myself as well. As to the fact that I am rather fat, I am currently doing 2 sports (hockey & rugby), and I try to skeeler at least once a week. It isn't easy because my study is pretty hard and most of the time I am forced to study. Just whenever I get the time I try and do that to keep up my health. My diet is... well bad... Unfortunately I'm not a very good cook and mostly if I eat at all I eat a few slices of brown or white bread, mainly with cheese or sliced meat. But I also like eating fruit & vegetables, mainly apples, mandarins, grapes, cucumber and tomato. I do have a high dietary caffeine intake (2 coffee and 1 cheap "red bull" like substance at least every day. I hardly drink alcohol, only on party's which are maybe 10 times a year.

I haven't considered treatment (as in surgery) yet, since I do not have the money for such an operation.

So my question for you is; Are there any more people with one sided gyneacomastia that presented more symptoms like me? And perhaps anyone has a clue if what I have is really Gyne, and maybe I should re-consider to go to the doctor again and ask for a biopsy?

Thanks in advance!

Mauranius

True Unilateral Gynecomastia is the ultimate test of a doctor's skill. Make an operated side match something that never had surgery!  Here is another example of One Sided Gynecomastia. For most, the real problem is Uneven Gynecomastia, one side much larger than the other.  This is often the case with those overweight or obese.  Male Fat Distribution tends to collect about the belly and breast.  Getting to a weight / body fat that one is comfortable with, is often a better step.  Weight loss after surgery is a gamble, you cannot pick where the fat comes off.  Men tend to put fat first on the breast and belly and take it off those locations last.  Contour a body with compromise surgery, then lose weight, not lose it in the chest, and it may look like the gynecomastia has come back. 

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Mauranius

• Posting Member
Dear Dr. M. Bernant,

of course your reply helps a little bit! I reckon how hard it must be for the surgeons to pull off a surgery like that. However as far as I can recollect my gyneacomastia appeared before getting fat (I wasn't fat until the age of 18, those years of study really weren't good for my fat% haha), also the side where the gyneacomastia is feels firm and sometimes painful to touch. Also the nipple seems to be more inversed than on the other side. Maybe later I'll try to upload some pictures.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...

Gynecomastia is not a disease dude... It's a 'condition' at best.

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I agree with Dr Bermant.  True one-sided gynecomastia is rare.  Often, I find that one side is much larger than the other -- but both sides are frequently affected.  In the past, I treated only the larger side -- and the patient then returned asking for treatment of the now-larger "normal" side as well. It is extremely difficult for a surgeon to reduce the larger side just to match the smaller side.  At present, I evaluate both sides and frequently find excess tissue on both sides -- but this will have to wait until you are examined by a surgeon well versed in treatment of gynecomastia.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
First off, Stop trying to be your own Doctor. That rarely works out well in the long run.

Second, Male breast cancer is rare. Yes it is possible but the various tests that you've already had should have revealed it.

Third, You indicate a small penis, gynecomastia, and weight gain. Perhaps you should be talking to an Endocrinologist. If your Veterinary school is a part of a University that also has a Medical School; You may find that an Endocrinologist is on the faculty.
Grandpa Dan

DrBermant

Dear Dr. M. Bernant,

of course your reply helps a little bit! I reckon how hard it must be for the surgeons to pull off a surgery like that. However as far as I can recollect my gyneacomastia appeared before getting fat (I wasn't fat until the age of 18, those years of study really weren't good for my fat% haha), also the side where the gyneacomastia is feels firm and sometimes painful to touch. Also the nipple seems to be more inversed than on the other side. Maybe later I'll try to upload some pictures.

Pain and Sensitivity can be Symptoms of Gynecomastia of gland stimulation. They can also be from trauma, infection, and other issues.  Progressive nipple inversion, firm mass growth, nipple discharge, and pain can also be symptoms of male breast cancer. Male Nipple Inversion can be from the traction of gynecomastia.  Such concerns are best explored during an evaluation with a knowledgeable physician. 

The Anatomy of Gynecomastia will always consist of fat, gland, and skin. Weight loss can help with the fat component, but not the gland.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024