Author Topic: body fat percent  (Read 2724 times)

Offline robos111

• Posting Member
I am 6 feet tall; 191 pds and my body fat is 22%. What is the recommended body fat % that I should try to attain to help me determine whether or not I require surgery for my overdeveloped chest? Because , I want to try this as a final test before booking.
thanks

Offline postiey

• Gold Member
i cant remember exact but i was told athletes and weightliffter get down to 10%! i think i got down to around 15% maybe  and gyne still showed.

good luck to u, and great idea to try exercise first

Offline robos111

• Posting Member
thanks, I'm just hoping for that miracle, but will most likely have to go the surgery route in the end. How did your surgery turn out?

Offline postiey

• Gold Member
i havent had surgery yet mate, im due to get surgery soon and i will post my experience. i think u should try cardio and hope that it goes well for you. i dont know how but i just have always known soemething was wrong. my gyno started late so whereas i used to wear tight tops id see these small things bulging out so its clearly gyne with me.

i guess if u see all your fat goin off ur stomach etc and ur chest stays the same or gets more noticeable well the only option is surgery.

good luck

Offline jsboob

• Silver Member
how do you work out your body fat % ?
 I have a BMI of 24 which Im told is ok for my height ( 5'11")

Offline robos111

• Posting Member
I have a scale that I check it on. It was 23% today. Because I still have a small/medium gut, I'm trying to lose that first and then see how the chest looks?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
What is the recommended body fat % that I should try to attain to help me determine whether or not I require surgery for my overdeveloped chest?

There are no absolute numbers for body fat % that will make your gyne surgery better.  Average guys have body fat % between 12 and 24.  Body builders and such, who spend their lives in weight training and watching their diets in order to achieve very cut contours, may have body fat percentages between 6 and 10%.  Those low percentages are really not attainable or practical for the average guy who goes to work every day and works out a few days a week.

Bottom line:  lose as much weight as is practical but do not let it become an obsession.  Then judge your chest and see if you can live with it or not.  If not, then consult a plastic surgeon who is very experienced in gyne surgery.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024