Author Topic: It has been a LONG road...  (Read 2119 times)

Offline gynedowner

• Posting Member
I only recently found this site, and have learned a great deal from many of you. Therefore, I feel like I should share my story with you all as well.

First of all, I have had enlarged breasts since I was 12. I knew I was different because I was thin, which made my condition more noticeable. I was picked on often, especially in the locker room. I had a few close friends, but even they refused to talk with me about it. I felt very alone, because I didn't know anyone else with this problem. I told my mother about it after a fight at school following a scoliosis test (more about that in the 'worst story' thread). We went to my pediatrician and the doctor said that I just needed to lose weight. I started drinking more water, soy milk, and salads. I dropped 30 pounds (or 2 stone, for you Brits out there). I went to a local plastic surgeon after that, and he said that I ought to wait until I was 17 or 18. The nurse said "It doesn't look that bad." I thought A cup breasts on a thin 14 year old boy looked extremely bad. So I waited...it hasn't left me. On a side note, I also had severe hyperhidrosis (sweaty palms and feet). Imagine not being able to firmly grasp a steering wheel or having people shuffle around to avoid holding your hand during prayer times because your hands are constantly soaked with sweat. It's awful.

So, I spent my teens a thin, four-eye'd boy with moobs and wet fish hands. A few years ago I had my hyperhidrosis surgically corrected via a sympathectomy. I mention this condition because it IS covered by insurance plans because of the psychological trauma caused by it. However, I feel that this trauma is comparable to gynecomastia which SHOULD also be covered. My hyperhidrosis was affecting my choice in careers because I felt I couldn't shake peoples' hands or work with delicate equipment. But, gynecomastia also prevented me from wanting to be a life guard, professional swimmer, surfer, or soldier...I'll save that insurance rant for another time.

Well, I proceeded with this surgery which had a very painful recovery due to the fact that they were unable to administer the local anesthetic. The irony was the doctor said that my chest was TOO THICK for the needle to reach. However, despite this pain I am prepared to undergo surgery again for gynecomastia, because it still hinders me socially. I think it will be well worth it. I can't recount how many times I've gotten looks at pools, hot tubs, locker rooms, and from girls on dates. As soon as women see my chest, I see the look they give me and my confidence plummets. I wish I could overcome it, but I feel that society has just bashed men with our condition for years. Anyone remember the rolling credits at the end of Dodgeball the movie with Ben Stiller shaking his pseudogynecomastia to "My Milkshake"...THAT was NOT helpful!

Now I am 23 yrs, 5'7 and 170 lbs. I work out 6 days a week for at least 1.5 hrs. My gynecomastia is still with me, but in week or so I will have my surgery (after years of saving). I have no illusions that this surgery will have a perfect outcome. I realize that my chest will likely never look completely normal. But just to have it be flat, would be so awesome. Being able to wear a shirt that is not a size too large or to not have my suit jacket puff out, would boost my confidence through the roof.

I'll try to make a few posts, post-op. Thank you all for your stories, questions, and information. It has been invaluable.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024