Author Topic: Surgery in 2 weeks- have some queries  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Creek

• Posting Member
Hey all,
long time lurker, first time poster. I can't remember exactly when, but I discovered this site at least six months ago and I don't regret doing so. After reading about some of your stories and heeding your advice I finally dug up enough courage and decided to make the call to Dr. Fieldings office to set up a consult. Sure enough I have gyne- only mild case, but still a major pain. Anyway, I want to thank you for all your help; you don't know me but you've helped change my life.
This is turning into some 'touched by an angel' testimonial so I'm just going to stop right now.

Before I go though I just have a few questions. I went for my second consult where you give consent and ask a few more questions before the big day. One of the things that they  mentioned emphatically was that you can't check yourself out after the surgery; I was hoping on just packing up and taking off on the TTC right after, but this seems unlikely. Is this something they enforce, cuz I seem to remember some people say that they left afterwards by themselves. I'm really adamant about keeping this a secret from my family and friends and don't want to have to rely on someone to help me home. If this is the case then I guess I'll try to stay the night.

Another thing: I'm wondering what excuses a lot of you gave to friends/ family/ co-workers about the surgery. I'm trying to come up with a convincing cover-story but I'm drawing a blank.

Any help is much appreciated.

Offline Boobies_Redux

• Posting Member
They can provide you with a registered nurse to help you get home and monitor you, I think.  But that is an extra expense.

Try to get someone to help you with a phone number they can call once you are done.  You will not want to be on the TTC afterwards and will require at least to have a cab.

After that, they don't monitor you.

But if you do go through this process, just remember its surgery and you might need someone present to help you if something happens safety-wise.  You might go into shock because of the effect on your body, or might have an infection, both of which are not likely but are some of the side effects.

My first days at home after surgery were very painful and I actually used the codiene they prescribed and slept a lot.

The results were not immediate, either.  It has taken almost one year to look "normal."
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 04:06:28 AM by Boobies_Redux »

Offline Creek

• Posting Member
Thanks for the advice.
I'm really reluctant to tell my family and freinds though- I'm already on shaky terms as far as respect goes, and dropping a bomb like this would alter everyone's perspective about me for good. And I know a lot of you are thinking that "oh no, if they care about you they'll understand"; the thing is I know they'd come to eventually understand, but they'd also lower they're opinion and think somewhat less of me . Telling something like this is akin to coming out of the closet, and if I can avoid that, I'm going to.

Anyway, it doesn't seem likely that I'm going to be able to get a ride unless I decide to tell someone. So I was wondering what arrangements you have to make or criteria you have to meet in order to stay the night after the operation. I'd call Fieldings office, but they don't keep hours that are convenient for us working folk.
Can someone fill me in? Thanks.

Offline 3cheers

• Posting Member
Have the nurse call you a cab. Instead of excuses how about just avoiding your family and friends for a bit. Tell your friends your with your family and vice versa. And  when you get the foam pads off you can say that you pulled a muscle or hurt your rib by working too hard.

3cheers ;)

Offline peewee

• Posting Member
I just had my surgery yesterday and didnt have anyone to pick me up either so i just stayed the night there. its very comfortable and the nurses are very nice. it doesnt cost extra at all its all part of the deal if u want. The next day you're more than welcome to take a cab or ttc home on ur own. They only make u stay over cause they want the effects of the anesthetic to fully wear off.

Offline Creek

• Posting Member
Yeah, did that last week. Stayed the night and they gave me a private room (hope it was on purpose, cuz I didn't ask and I'm not paying for their mistake). It was great, I only felt pain like six hours after the surgery- then again when I had the pads taken of Tuesday and the nurse bound the tensor so fricken' tight. Other than that (and almost fainting in the shower when I got home from the return visit. Lack of food and shock from taking off a tensor bandage that was wound too tight will do that, so watch out guys) I've been pretty mach fine. I still don't have full mobility of my arms considering I almost afraid to lift them too high, and I have two abrasions caused by the pads. It's still kind of surreal to look at my chest though. It's nice to finally look normal, but I still have this lingering habit hiding it.
Couple of weeks I'm going to start working out again, and I've got to kick it up a notch just so I can have the coveted beach bod I've always wanted. Gotta get in shape and then make up for lost time by flirting with every pretty girl I see.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024