Author Topic: 10 Months Post-Op  (Read 3527 times)

Offline CoffeeGuy

Hi everyone, I decided to return to the forum that i got my initial help from. I had my operation with Dr. Fielding in March. As my doctor, I found Dr. Fielding to be very personal and helpful. I went in for the consultation, he told me everything that would happen, how everything *should* look and how I *should* feel. And in the end, he was 90% correct, and just like getting 90% on a test, I was quite happy.

Background:
Ever since I was a child I was quite overweight. In high school I topped at 250 pounds (2003). During my first year of university, i decided to go to the gym and do cardio, 4 months later I lost 80 pounds.  At this point, I noticed the gynecomastia, and I must say it was pretty bad. Not the worst, but bad. I lived with it for around two years. It affected my life severely. My friends were very outgoing. As you all know, it affected what I wore, the way I acted, the relationships I made.

The Decision:
When I came across this forum with local information, I basically made the decision to go through with the operation within the week. I called Dr. Fielding and he gave me an appointment very quickly. I got the quote of $1070, OHIP covered much of the cost. The operation happened a month later.

The Operation:
I went alone, took the TTC. Once I got into the operating room, the put me to sleep. When i woke up I didn’t feel any discomfort that came later. My brother picked my up (this all happened the same day). My chest started to feel sore about 4 hours later, like someone had punched my chest with a very big fist. I was prescribed very strong Tylenols however I used normal ones.

Days->weeks->Months
For me, this was the complex part. I was told not to judge the outcome of the operation until up to a year from the operation date. I would say this is very true. There was a lot of bruising and puffiness for months. I can’t recall how long, but it was months. To answer the question, "can I have a normal looking chest w/ pecks" I can say yes you can, however, you have to be very careful. Once the bruising and swelling has subsided, I would say hit the gym. You will invariably see people pumping heavy weight, but the key is very light weights, with high repetitions. This will slowly shape your chest, instead of enlarging it with heavy weights. This along with cardio (if you are overweight) will get you a very nice looking chest. However it may take months but you must be very careful, the doctor has shaped your chest giving YOU a base to work with, you must further shape your body via an exercise plan.

Currently:
Right now I weight 152lb’s, I’m 6 foot 1 inches.
I will explain why I said I’m 90% satisfied. I would say he did a better job on my left breast. However, from the start, there was always a little more fat in my right breast. My nipples are puffier than they uses to be. Not very puffy, puffier. I still feel a little pain if I put pressure on my chest, this is why I don't sleep on my chest anymore. Basically that’s it.

I hope I explained my situation well, it's really late so I probably skipped some big topic. Anyway, none of you should worry, just educate yourself and just close your eyes and go thought with it. I highly recommend Dr. Fielding. I don’t know if I will be able to find some before pictures but I have plenty of after pictures, if someone could recommend somewhere I can upload them, then I will be sure to do so.

Good luck and happy holidays!

« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 04:30:31 AM by CoffeeGuy »

Offline Achilles

• Silver Member
Hey good to hear your story!  I have my op with Fielding in 3 weeks!  For the pictures, go to yahoo, you can upload pictures at yahoo, http://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.src=ph&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos&.intl=us

As for the post-op, what did you do in terms of compression?  Did you just use the tensor wrap or did yu buy a vest?

Offline CoffeeGuy

Thanks for the link, I'll make sure to upload the pics.

I just used the tensor wrap that was given to me on the operation date. Over the course of healing I replaced it a few times myself. There was no need for a vest.

Offline buddy

• Posting Member
I am 3 weeks post op and was wondering when you were able to return to exercising? I feel like I am ready but I wonder if I should wait another week or so. Also, when were you able to lose the tensor?

Offline CoffeeGuy

Well it really matters how the swelling is doing. If you do get back to working out, start slow and see how that goes. Also, I took off the tensor very late because I was self consious around my family. I probably wore it for a month and half.

Hope I helped!

Offline Achilles

• Silver Member
CoffeeGuy, let us know when you get those pics up.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024