Author Topic: I'm worried  (Read 2421 times)

Offline BB

Hi, I'm 60 years old. Always had an athletic slimmer build but have been teased about boobs since I was a kid. I have very little chest hair so it makes me look even more like a woman.

Surgery has been on my bucket list for about 30 years. I've consulted with a few surgeons over the years. I even went so far as to give a $500 deposit but I discovered the surgeon was an MD, not a plastic surgeon, so I chickened out.

Anyway, a few days ago I had surgery. Of course I knew probably four of nurses. The only person I actually told was my wife and she is not happy about it. My kids dont know. I dont think my condition was so bad that people will immediately realize I had the surgery. I wear heavy shirts and my muscular condition changes frequently so they're used to seeing me look different at times.

I have been hiding in the house until next week when I get my drains out.

Here's my two concerns.

1- I will have saggy skin and look worse than before. Was I too old to do this?

2- My friends and family will find out and go from shock to absolutely mocking me. I'm a jokester so people think they can say anything to me and it wont bother me and they're safe teasing me. But they will just be all over this. I know we can say they shouldn't...but they will.

Anyone my age have the surgery? How did your friends and family react?

Thanks guys (I assume its all guys on here :))

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Almost all guys.  We occasionally have the mother or wife of a person with the condition.   In any case, everyone here is well aware of Gynecomastia so you can feel free to say just about anything.
1. No one here would have any idea how elastic your skin is.  You will just have to wait and see how much the skin shrinks after the surgery. 
2. It will be a big deal if you make a big deal out of it.  My guess is that few people will notice and less will say anything unless you open the topic. 
Major concern about the condition is often age related.   As we age, we do tend to get more comfortable with ourselves.  Surgery seems to be less common in those of us over the age of 50.  
Grandpa Dan

Offline diplomaticimmunity

I think it's awesome that you finally went through with this. Good for you. I'm sure it'll look good.

Offline tofur99

• Posting Member
We always think people are paying more attention then they really are.  There's stories of people shaving their head and going into work thinking everyone would be gawking at them and pointing/making fun when in reality only a couple noticed and the rest didn't notice until he pointed it out.

Generally speaking people are in their own little worlds with their own issues.

Offline theguywithboobs

Well said tofur99. Few people notice the things we're so self conscious about, and fewer still even care. I'd be interested to see a follow up post from BB, to hear how the last couple weeks have gone for him.

Offline yankee421576

• Posting Member
First, kudos to you to have the courage. I hope the healing process goes well for you. I would also echo previous comments. People are generally oblivious unless a drastic change occurs. My hope is that you achieve an acceptable result and that it helps your overall confidence level. Cheers.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Congratulations on finally taking the plunge.  I'm wondering why you are worried about your skin.  Did your plastic surgeon predict that you would have sagging skin?  If you have a lot of excess skin, particularly when you are 60-ish, the skin is often removed along with the breast tissue.  You should post some photos on the forum here for opinions, and you'll get them, but I don't think we'll be as tough on you as it sounds like your friends will be!
Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline leosud

• Bronze Member
I am 56 years old. I live with my breasts for 20 years.
I do not like anesthesia, I do not want to tinker me the body.
I made sure that my chest is a pleasure, something nice for me.
I divorced 10 years ago, my new wife very well accepted my body.
Choosing a bra, intimacy with my wife, I reorganized my life with my breast.
So no surprise!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024