Author Topic: Weight loss before or after? Explain..  (Read 5927 times)

Offline TommyV8

So, I keep reading that weight loss before surgery is preferred, but I don't exactly understand why.
I want to lose about 25-30 pounds, and gain muscle.. So I really would like to stay about the same size, just switch the proportions of fat and muscle.
Could I go ahead with the surgery now and be fine with losing weight and bulking up with muscle after surgery? Or would it be best to wait until I've got my body in the precise form I'd like it in?
Why exactly is it best to lose weight before surgery than after? I just don't understand.. Once the breast tissue is out, don't you just have a 'normal' chest, capable of adapting to change as it normal chest would? What about surgery changes the way the chest adapts to weight loss? Am I making sense?
Thanks..

Offline zado611

• Bronze Member
im not postive but i think they say that so that you make sure you can't get rid of them by losing weight.. b/c if you can you just saved a butt load of money.. Don't take my word for it though

DrBermant

So, I keep reading that weight loss before surgery is preferred, but I don't exactly understand why.
I want to lose about 25-30 pounds, and gain muscle.. So I really would like to stay about the same size, just switch the proportions of fat and muscle.
Could I go ahead with the surgery now and be fine with losing weight and bulking up with muscle after surgery? Or would it be best to wait until I've got my body in the precise form I'd like it in?
Why exactly is it best to lose weight before surgery than after? I just don't understand.. Once the breast tissue is out, don't you just have a 'normal' chest, capable of adapting to change as it normal chest would? What about surgery changes the way the chest adapts to weight loss? Am I making sense?
Thanks..

Plastic Surgery is not an alternative to losing weight.  With surgery, an overweight person will still look like a overweight person, just one with smaller breasts.

The problem is that Male Fat Pattern extends around the chest, under the arms, and around the back.  Plastic Surgery is not a good tool for a global fat problem.

I advise my patients to get to a weight / body fat percentage they are comfortable with before considering surgery. 

Weight Loss Before Gynecomastia Surgery can help with the fat, but not the gland.  However, you cannot pick where your fat comes from. Plastic Surgery is also not a good jump start tool for weight loss.  I have seen disasters from patients from other doctors with deformities from significant weight loss after their surgery.  Men tend to put fat on first in the belly and chest bands.  We tend to take of those areas last.  Early surgery and depending on weight loss to predictably change the body is a nasty gamble.  No Surgery Body Shaping Garments are a better temporizing choice.

Finishing weight loss before surgery is usually much better than further weight loss after surgery. Weight loss is a coarse tool, Plastic Surgery is better reserved for refinement. This is especially true when tissue sagging is a factor. Why lift sagging tissue, lose more weight, and see that tissue sag again from further deflation? 

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline TommyV8

Thanks for the responses.
Personally, I lost 60 pounds, very quickly, and I think most of what was lost was muscle. So my bodyfat percentage is probably very high.. I'd like to LOOK about 10-15 pounds lighter, but lose the fat, and build up the muscle.. So would it be best to wait even though I pretty much want to stay ABOUT the same size, give or take 15 pounds?

Offline JamesDawson

• Bronze Member
Losing weight and toning up before surgery is a way to get a clear picture of how bad your gyno is and what kind of results surgery will achieve. I lost over a stone from exercising and ended up finding that I had gyno on one side only. I would recommend toning up before surgery because your not going to be able to hit the weights for about 6-8 weeks after surgery since your chest will be swollen and healing but it can wait until after your chest has healed because the important thing is you had the gland removed, your fat and muscle can change anytime but gland is a different matter.

On another note most would agree this is the best time of year to get surgery because you are going to be indoors a lot, your rarely going to have your top off around people and it will give you a lot of time to heal before the summer.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024