Author Topic: Surgery Alone?  (Read 1713 times)

Offline flair13

I'm a 37-year-old male with gyne since puberty.  I exercise frequently and stay fit.  Still, I have the condition and am finally considering surgery in NYC this fall.  My issue is: I'm currently single and don't want anyone to know that I'm getting the procedure.  My question is: Can I get the surgery done alone and recover by myself?  What are my options?  I've read posts on other websites that say you should have somebody with you OR spend the night at a clinic.  I would do that but I'm kind of concerned about the cost of doing that.  I imagine the cost for a clinic in New York is insane.  Finally, how long (if at all) do I need supervision by another person until I can heal alone?  Sorry for all of the questions!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I have many patients in your situation -- preferring not to let anyone else know about their surgery.

In my hands, the average gyne operation takes 90 minutes and is performed on an out-patient basis in my office operating room suite.  If there is no one to take you home, then a nurse's aid can do so at minimal cost.  There is no need to have a nurse or anyone else stay with you overnight -- my staff will provide lots of instruction for you and with a little bit of pre-op preparation on your part, it should not be a problem.

Your situation is not unique -- it is done all the time -- easily and successfully.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline flair13

That's actually a huge relief.  Many thanks for the quick response, Dr. Jacobs!

Offline flatness13

• Silver Member
I'm facing the same issue(surgery is in 6 weeks). My clinic not only wants me to bring somebody with me but he/she has to wait for me and then bring me home. I could probably convince them to only have somebody pick me up, so then that person also doesn't have to know what surgery I was in there for. I mean really who wants the stress of the social stigma on top of the ordeal of the surgery itself.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Stress? Stigma? Ordeal?  Are you kidding?
 My recent trips to the hospital were for nerve transpositions to relieve neuropathy,  Five stents, and Cataracts in both eyes.   My wife has had both knees replaced and recurring cancers removed.   We simply trust our doctors and each other and we do whatever needs to be done.  
What will you guys do if you actually have to face a real crisis?  This is actually minor surgery.   There is skill involved that should not be diminished, but you guys are making a BFD out of nothing. 
Grandpa Dan

Offline flatness13

• Silver Member
^I'd have no shame whatsoever if I had to get surgery for a serious illness. It has nothing to do with how invasive the surgery is, it's about how emasculating this is. It's even worse for those of us who live in smaller towns where people know eachother and gossip more. Who wants word to go around that you have manboobs and are going under the knife for it? Not me.

Offline xoxoxoxo

• Gold Member
ill do this surgery alone. I'll just call uber taxi to take me to surgery area and to bring me home. My only concern is i dunno how to hide the drain from my family and the vest that i have to wear 24/7

Offline MammaryMan

• Bronze Member
If anyone asks, tell them your penis was way too big and you went in for a reduction. While you were there they found some suspicious moles on your breasts and they removed them

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024