Author Topic: What stops you from having surgery  (Read 1973 times)

Offline altron

• Posting Member
Hi all,
I'm new here. I've suffered from gynecomastia for 2 years now. I think it's the worst thing it has happened in my life.
I have a question for you all:

What stops you from going under the knife?

If it's money, are you saving money right now or willing to use your savings or 401k to cover the surgery cost?

Thanks all.

Offline Bain-of-my-life

• Bronze Member
I just had my sugery yesterday and despite looking disgusting right now, I regret nothing :)... Just had my bandages off and tried a t-shirt on and for the first time in 10 years it doesn't look like I have two tents under my top :P

The recovery is long, painful and frustrating, but it will all be worth it, I know that for sure. Take a look at my before and afters here.... (Close spaces at http and .com)!

ht tp://s381.photobucket. com/user/UNITED_LEGENDS/library/?sort=3&page=1

Offline xelnaga13

I had two surgeries 12 years apart. One at 14 and one at 26. During the 12 years after my glands came back I accepted my plight and rarely thought about it. Busy with school, work, and a social life it rarely crossed my mind. However, once I found out my insurance would cover another surgery I went for it and it was one of the best decisions ive ever made. It completely revamped my life.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Like most people here, I developed the condition at about the age of 12. Unlike most of the people here, I am usually the olderst person here. I will soon be 76 years old.

Surgery was not a very good option until I was about 50 years old and to be short, I had different priorities at that time. Specifically, a daughter who needed Heart Surgery.

There are now health problems that make any purely elective surgery something less than a good idea.

For some people, having gynecomastia would seem to be the end of the world. Others shrug it off and simply get on with their lives.

It has very differing impact upon different people. Surgery is the only effictive way to reduce the size of the breasts. but surgery is not the right choice for everyone. For some of us, living with the condition makes more sense. There are no "One size fits all" answers here.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Alchemist

• Gold Member
Hi Altron,

I'll tell you why I will not be having surgery.  Wtih D-cups it is major and all the skin on my chest would have to be tailored and nipple repositioned.  I'm 65 and a nudist for 50 years or thereabouts.  Most all problem went away when I was out of school.  Junior high school was hell and high school and college were not a lot better in general.  Then health problems kicked in and dominated the rest of my life.  I take off my shirt to garden bothering some of the neighbors.  That is their problem.  I spend as much of the summer at a seasonal site at a nudist resort as I can manage.  My health while pretty good right now is delicately balanced and anything can send me crashing.  Purely elective surgery is not a good idea right now.  And in any case I refuse to spend $10,000 or so to give in to body bullies.  They don't run my life.  Further I am really quite done with societally imposed body shame for a body that could never at any time make it in the body beautiful world no matter what I do, and never could.  D-cup breasts in no way hinder my life.  At worst they are part of the cosmic joke.

hammer

What stops me? Well, there are much more important surgeries that I needed or need to make my life more enjoyable! Like many here I've had bigger boobs all my life but they really never got much in the way. If someone gave me any shit about them I would just kick some ass!

Well now that  I'm 55 and have prostetic knees, a back held together with metal, and still have back problems, can't walk far, so I use a wheel chair for any distance,

Why should I let a pair double Ds bother me, or let any one that would even think of making a comment about them bother me either? I payed my dues, and when you come to that point in your life you realize that what others  think doesn't mean crap! You need to only please your God, your family yourself. There is nothing more important then those, in that order, God being number one always!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 07:16:00 AM by hammer »

Offline twoshirts

• Posting Member
Altron - I'm 35 and just had my surgery on Wednesday.  I really don't know what took me so long.  I guess I just finally had enough.  I wish I would have talked to my parents and had this surgery 20 years ago.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024