Author Topic: Gynecomastia shrinking?  (Read 8273 times)

Offline SpydeReFs

• Posting Member
Hi guys, sorry if making a new topic is too much b/c I made just one an hour ago. But I have so many questions.

Alright, I've had gynecomastia for most of my life (I'm 19, but I was made fun of at pool parties as a little kid!). So I've been reading everything about it since I was a freshman in high school (for about 5 years now), and recently had the courage to tell my parents. I'm sure a lot of people are debating whether to tell their parents about their gyne, here's my advice: TELL THEM, don't worry about what they'll say. Well my parents were surprisingly supportive (at least to me, i don't know why i told them earlier!) and agreed to have a consult with Dr. Delgado, which I will probably have in a couple months.

Firstly, my gyne has always stayed the same until I started doing a lot of pushups and calithenics (specifically the Charles Atlas program, not condoning anything, but that's what I'm doing) as well as some cardio (mainly basketball). Well I've noticed a huge difference from last year because I'm getting into shape and building up muscle on my chest. What I notice is that the gyne diameter (if I can call it that, just imagine each breast is a cone which has a diameter on each one) gets smaller but my gyne maintains its height. It looks to be I would say a mild case now, but it has never gone down to the point it is not substantially affecting my life (I still don't swim, go to the beach, take my shirt off, participate in sports that require taking shirts off, bad posture, etc.). When I was 12, my pediatrician told me it would go away, well i believed her and she lied. It stayed there and I grew bigger as I gained weight. Well 6 years later, I start working out and now I still obviously have gyne, but it has reduced. however, my nipples still are puffed, and I feel hard tissue under them.

Does gyne ever shrink to normality after having it for so long?, i have yet to hear an experience. However, given all the years I've had gyne, it seems impossible for me to imagine my breasts magically shrinking. But if working out does indeed mask a little bit of gyne (I thought it made it bigger?), then I would still ultimately have gyne and would still need surgery....

Offline Worrier

• Gold Member
Hi m8

From what you have said, you got gyno in puberty, most people who get it at that age, it seems to shrink,but unfortunately i some guys it doesn't. You are not alone as quite a few guys are in this position here.

You say you are 19 now, and from what I have read on here I doubt the gyno would go away on it's own now. The best person to speak to about this is a doctor though.I had a moderate case of gyno in my twenties which almost went, but mine was drug induced and when I got off the drug it shrunk although I have a slight puffy nip on one side. I think with people with pubetal gyno if you want rid you need surgery.  

I agree though when I started to exercise my gyno really improved in fact my whole body did as that drug made me put on a lot of weight too. Even though I look so much better including my chest I still have issues wearing t-shirts swimming despite people saying Iam bonkers ;D.

I wouldn't say your pediatrician lied per se, doctors can only go on what they have read studied and in most peoples cases , in puberty gyno will go. But I understand why you are pis*ed as a doctor told me exercise would make my gyno worse and she was talking bollocks really esp as the same doctor in a years time said I didn't need surgery. I think the fact is gyno is still not totally understood by doctors. Some guys have good results from exercise ,some don't, depends on the case I think.

Plenty of guys here who got it in puberty so hopefully they  can help you out.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Congratulations on your success to this point.

My puberty didn't last for just a few years, it took about two decades. Once the hormone levels settled down, the glandular portion of the breasts gradually degraded leaving breasts which are now (at age 68) slightly pendulous and soft.  

The growth of the glandular part of the breast is due to the estrogen being out of balance with the testosterone. I suspect that estrogens need to continue to play a significant role in order to maintain that tissue as well and that without the estrogens the glandular component of the breast degrades albeit slowly.

We hear from many young men who have attempted to diminish their breasts by dieting and/or exercise.  Usually this is without success.

My thinking is that the Diet and exercise should be continued for the good health and well-being of the people even though there is not usually a significant change in their Gynecomastia.

Your post, however, is clear evidence that, at least sometimes, Diet and/or exercise really do help.
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024