Author Topic: aromatase inhibitors  (Read 2197 times)

Offline mcfear

• Posting Member
hi guys.. i presume that there aren't a lot of people on this forum that have used aromatase inhibitors as a treatment for gyne as i presume they are hard to be prescribed by your gp...
i'm just wondering does anyone have any information on these.. i know there have been studies on adolescent boys with success rates and men who are recieving testosterone treatment for hypogonad..
i'm just interested in these..i'm trying to rule out all options before i, maybe, take the surgical plunge one day.
i'm 24 have had puffed nipples since i was a kid..the last year i've become more self conscious about it..found this forum a few months ago which has made the issue take over my life!! i'm 10% bodyfat just have that pocket of gland that makes my nipples look like a f***ing bitches!
anyway, im seeing an endocrinologist soon just to make sure my hormones are in order and am thinking of mentioning these aromatase inhibitors..
any experts out there??
thanks

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
Hi,

I’m no doctor and certainly no expert, but I am taking aromatise inhibitors as prescribed and carefully monitored by an Andrologist to keep my oestradiol levels under control.

From all I have read the use of anti oestrogens like Tamoxifen and aromatise inhibitors like Arimidex, are only really effective in the early stages of growth, i.e. the first 12 to 18 months.  It appears that after that time the format and texture of the gland changes and these medications have little or no effect on the gland at all.

You say you are 24 and have had your gyne since you were a kid, well if the medical papers I have read are anything to go on, I would say you have practically no chance of getting any reduction in your gyne with these types of medications after all this time.  I think you are very sensible in getting your hormones checked out before surgery though.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

Offline mcfear

• Posting Member
hey.. so your using these aromatase inhibitors but not to remedy your gyne? have they had any effect on your gyne?
just wondering
cheers

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
Hi,

As I said, I am taking aromatase inhibitors to control my oestradiol levels which were very high.  As you may know the male body produces oestradiol in several ways, the main one being converting it from testosterone to oestradiol by using the aromatase enzyme.  A very few people including me it seems, have a tendency to over do that conversion (it’s called aromatase excess syndrome).  The inhibitors had no effect whatsoever on my gyne (probably because I had had the gland there for 2 years), which I had removed by surgery.  It seems I will remain on the inhibitors for the rest of my life to keep my hormonal balance steady and prevent the gyne returning.

Anyone taking aromatase inhibitors should only do so under the supervision of an Endocrinologist.  Patients require careful monitoring of main hormone levels and red and white blood cell counts on a regular basis.  I would say to everyone ..... don’t take this medication without seeing an Endo first.

I hope all goes well with your trip to the Endo.  Be completely open and honest with him and don’t take any medication (including herbal remedies) that haven’t been prescribed to you for at least 1 month beforehand.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
mcfear,

There is anecdotal evidence that the drugs you mentioned are helpful, but only in a small number of selected cases. I am not aware of any really good solid evidence such as a double blind test.

As was previously very well said, the use of these drugs require monitoring by an Endocrinologist who has experienced in dealing with reproductive issues.

Estrogen is an essential hormone, even for men. What is important is the relationship of Estrogen to Androgen. You'll simply have to trust your Endo.
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024