Author Topic: And So It Begins  (Read 4435 times)

Offline LetsDoThis

• Posting Member
So here I am.  Ready to deal with my Gynecomastia. 

I always had a large chest from puberty.  It was/is mostly muscle but always had a small amount of fat toward the bottom of each pec.  About 2 years ago I developed a hard pea size bump under my right nipple.  It has been growing ever since and now it is the size of a large grape or maybe slightly larger.  Also, about 3 months ago, my left pec developed hard glandular tissue behind the ariola.  They both irritate me physically and psychologically.

There is a deposit of fat behind each gland which did not show much when I was not working out.  Recently I got back to the gym which made my problem worse because now the muscle when flexed creates a huge contrast with the flabby fat and gland in front of the pec.  I am now ready to deal with this problem through surgery. 

This week I am getting my hormone levels checked with an endocrinologist.  If all goes well I need to find the best surgeon who will help me for the best price.  I really do not want to go through a general surgeon even if my insurance covers it because I need good results.

I am in the NYC area and this all is very expensive for me but I understand that I need the best surgeon to perform the surgery.  And so it begins.  Any advice is appreciated.

hammer

You are in luck! We have a great surgeon right here on the forum that has his practice is in NYC area! Dr. Jacobs, and this is a specially of his. Good luck!

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
815 Park Avenue
New York, New York 10021
Telephone:  (212) 570-6080
Email:  info@drelliotjacobs.com

Offline LetsDoThis

• Posting Member
Thanks for the info.  I will look into Dr. Jacobs pricing and maybe get a consult soon.

My biggest concern is that it will recur.  Not the fat as much as the gland.  If the whole lump is removed and my hormones are normal, what are the chances that the gland will grow back?  Anyone with experience?

hammer

Thanks for the info.  I will look into Dr. Jacobs pricing and maybe get a consult soon.

My biggest concern is that it will recur.  Not the fat as much as the gland.  If the whole lump is removed and my hormones are normal, what are the chances that the gland will grow back?  Anyone with experience?

These are question best answered by the doctor.

You mention looking into pricing, I don't know where Dr. Jacobs falls on the scale of pricing, but he is highly regarded here in this forum, and you need to see before and after picture no mater who you go to.

I would also like to remind you that this is your body and health that we are talking about! I have had a total of six surgeries starting in 1994 including both knee replaced, and 9 hours of back surgery! No way would I go to the lowest bidder!

Remember, lowest price may not be best way to go.

Offline LetsDoThis

• Posting Member
I totally understand that and certainly won't go with the "lowest bidder".  But if there are 2 options with comparable experience, I see no reason to pay more especially considering how expensive this is and how tough things are right now. I'm basically looking for a top notch surgeon who will charge the best price.

So nobody has insight on recurrence?  I will definitely discuss this with an MD but personal experiences would also be appreciated. 

hammer

I can't help with that question! Hopefully someone will jump in who can. I had gyne from teen years on, at 54 I now have double "D"s and have learned to live with them.

So, good luck to you, and your future.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
My biggest concern is that it will recur.

I have not had any recurrence in any of my patients.  The only exception is if they started Propecia (gyne is a potential side effect of the drug) or took anabolic steroids and developed breast tissue.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline LetsDoThis

• Posting Member
Thanks Dr. Jacobs.  But can you please clarify.  Do you mean that the exception is people who took propecia or anabolic steroids AFTER their surgery or do people who took propecia or steroids before the surgery tend to have recurrence even if these substances are never taken post-surgery?
Thanks in advance.

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Allow me to clarify.  Propecia and anabolic steroids may induce recurrence after gyne surgery.

Dr Jacobs

Offline LetsDoThis

• Posting Member
Ok.  So I had my hormones checked with an endocrinologist and they are all normal which is kind of weird.  Now I am going to consult dr "removed doctor" and dr Jacobs who charges $200 for the consult and this does not off set cost of surgery!  Kind of surprising because it is my understanding that Dr. "removed doctor" does free consults.  Dr "removed doctor" also guarantees his work in that he will fix a recurrence with no surgeon's cost.  I assume Dr. Jacobs has a similar policy but I will find out soon (unless he chimes in first).  Wish me luck!  Any advice is always welcome.

Offline LetsDoThis

• Posting Member
I didn't realize that only discussions of featured doctors is allowed here.  I apologize.  Is negative information about featured doctors censored out as well?  Thanks.

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
My policy for revision surgery is explicitly set out on my website.  Please see question #47 on the Gynecomastia FAQ's.

Dr Jacobs

Offline LetsDoThis

• Posting Member
Thank you for your quick reply Dr. Jacobs.

Offline thetruf

I saw a Doctor just outside of pittsburgh. consultation was 50 dollars and sugery was 3600. I dont have insurance. I also had to get pain meds and a compression shirt. all together for everything it was less than 3800. I see some people on here have paid close to 10,000 for their sugery. I'd do some looking. Im not sure of your circumstances, but if possible maybe make the trip a few hours to Pitt. and save a few thousand dollars. If you message me I can give you the name of the place i went to and any further info that could help.
Best of luck to you!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024