Author Topic: You think you have it, but mom doesnt?  (Read 3577 times)

Offline Jamama

• Posting Member
Has anyone on here ever talked to parents about gynecomasta, only to be told that they are completely normal?  I am 16, and I am almost completely positive that I have gyno.  Yet, when I talked to my mom about it tonight, she said she didnt notice anything wrong with my chest.  She said I was just developing pecs.  Yeah, right...so why do they look like breasts?  Regardless, I am going to my family doctor on Friday, and we are going to see what he thinks.

Anyone else been in a similar situation?

Offline ddaavviiddd

• Silver Member
PARENTS CAN BE IN DENIAL.  MAYBE SHE JUST WANTS TO BE POSITIVE WITH U.  GO SEE YUR DOCTOR

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
Yes, sometimes parents just want to say the comforting words to make you feel better about yourself.  You must keep communicating to her that this is truly bothering you.  If you don't, then she'll assume the comforting words worked and you're OK now.  Once she sees that just a little comforting on her part isn't sufficient, then she'll likely go with "plan B" which is to acknowledge your feelings and try to help you.  Be patient with her and keep her in the loop even if it seems to be pointless.  If surgery is necessary you may need her support in a couple of years more than now and you don't want to spring all this on her at one time. 

Also:
Keep in mind that general practicioners (GP's) sometimes don't know enough about gyne to know it if it slaps 'em up side the head.   You may get the same response from the GP that you got from your mom.  Let us know what your doctor says.  If it's not satisfactory to you then you have other options, but they will require your mom's support.  Keep us posted.
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
get surgery now save urself early

I agree, but...
The problem is that most PS's won't do gyne surgery on somebody 16 years old because the hormones likely aren't settled yet.  It's more realistic to get the surgery at 17 or older, and that's if the gyne has been present for a long time. 

Offline Jamama

• Posting Member
I have something like $8,000 saved up in the bank.  But it is supposed to be for college.  The hard part would be convincing my mom to let me use this money for surgery.

Offline Jamama

• Posting Member
Lol, yeah probably.  I just dont think she can accept that I have this condition because I have led a very healthy life.  But i still have gyno.

Offline gabbyhey

• Gold Member
Have her read this board.  Or have her read this:

When I was first developing gynecomastia when I was around 13, I asked my mother about it.  She replied with, "some men are just built differently.  Over time you will be able to lessen the problem with exercise and weight lifting."  Being 13 years old I trusted what my mother had to say.  Well, it just got worse, and thousands of push ups later, it just made the problem even worse.  Granted, I wouldn't have been able to have the surgery at 13, but even if I could have had it at 17 or 18!  Little did my mother know, but she had given me some horrible advice. 

Offline Jamama

• Posting Member
I went to the doctors yesterday and he said he didnt notice anything abnormal.  He felt behind my nipples and said there was no masses behind them.  I asked him about my hormone levels, and he said that he was very sure that they were normal.  I have body hair and a deep voice, and really not any femine features.

I still dont feel great about my chest.  But I have started to lift weights (not just push ups and bench press... squats, deads, military press, you name it) and I will lose body fat once I get more lean mass.  I bet if I get down to 7-8% with muscles then my gyno (if i actually do have it) wont even be noticeable.  I am probably 14-16%bf right now.  But if I still feel shitty about my chest this time next year, I could opt for surgery.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024