Author Topic: Mammograms  (Read 823 times)

Offline MidAgeMoobs

Getting back to RAPCs question, if your doctor writes it up, the mammogram should be covered.  I doubt he would offer needlessly, but perhaps he is just trying to be thorough, especially if you’ve noticed something more than what you had before.  I had asked my doctor about getting one during prior annual exams, and he did not recommend it.  Last year I found a lump which I assumed/hoped was a lipoma (I have a few other small lipomas, which are benign), and fortunately it was.  

Male breast cancer is real. I could  only imagine my regret to myself and family if it were malignant and I hadn’t pursued it when there was time - so for me it was a no brainer.  It is a lot less uncomfortable than my doctor checking my prostrate! Or a dental visit! 

Thanks to this forum I read others who posted they were not the only guy to get one and gave a heads up on the process.  When I went, the nurse said there were 3 other men earlier in the day before me. FWIW I went late afternoon and I was the only one in the waiting room.  I told them it was my first time and they walked me through everything.  If you can pinch more than muscle, they can mammogram it.  If they can’t get a good mammogram they may do a sonogram in addition or instead.  So I wish you the best!

For me they did both - and it confirmed yes I have true gynecomastia (breast tissue), and a biopsy was unnecessary - a relief on both counts.

Offline Justagirl💃

• When life gives you curves, Flaunt them! 🤗
  Male breast cancer is real. I could only imagine my regret to myself and family if it were malignant and I hadn’t pursued it when there was time - so for me it was a no brainer.  
I had breast cancer in 1989. The doctor told me it was most likely just a fatty tumor and could be removed in about 20 min. We set up the lumpectomy a couple weeks later. 
That operation lasted 4 hours and they took quite a bit of my breast out. The doctor informed me it WAS NOT what he thought it was and sent it off to be tested. 
They called me back asking me to set up chemotherapy, so I had to make arrangements (I had it done in Mexico). 

My regret is having done it in Mexico to save money. 

I of course followed up with doctors here in the states upon my return, and other than the nasty scar they left everything seemed fine. I have had a mammogram every year since then, and the large sump hole they left in my breast did fill back in. 

Yes, breast cancer is real!
When life gives you curves,
flaunt them! 💃
💋Birdie💋

Offline gotgyne

Male breast cancer is real. I could only imagine my regret to myself and family if it were malignant and I hadn’t pursued it when there was time - so for me it was a no brainer. 
I had breast cancer in 1989. The doctor told me it was most likely just a fatty tumor and could be removed in about 20 min. We set up the lumpectomy a couple weeks later.
That operation lasted 4 hours and they took quite a bit of my breast out. The doctor informed me it WAS NOT what he thought it was and sent it off to be tested.
They called me back asking me to set up chemotherapy, so I had to make arrangements (I had it done in Mexico).

My regret is having done it in Mexico to save money.

I of course followed up with doctors here in the states upon my return, and other than the nasty scar they left everything seemed fine. I have had a mammogram every year since then, and the large sump hole they left in my breast did fill back in.

Yes, breast cancer is real!
I knew an older guy who got prostate cancer. He got a testosterone blocker, subsequently developed breast cancer and had to get a mastectomy. But some years later he was still alive. I noticed him running every day through the streets of our village.
A bra is just an article of clothing for people with breasts.

Offline WPW717

• Silver Member
Working in surgery ( all services ) for 43 years l have seen a guide a few male breast cancers. Not nearly as many as female. The current statistic of occurrence is about 1% for males. Much higher for females, 1 in 4 I believe. There isn’t any HER or BRCA gene testing done on the men like many women get. I can see where it would be of value in a small subset of men by family history but I am not sure if the economics of this would be judged worthwhile.
Ergo, the mammography and ultrasonography are both utilized.
Regards, Bob

Offline Gino

• Posting Member
When I budded I was concerned and my GP who was a female ordered a mammogram and to discuss the results the radiologist took me into her office and told me face to face of my gynecomastia. She was surprised at my acceptance and I said "hey I was expecting cancer, boobs I could live with" :-)

Offline Sophie

• Silver Member
We have 2-3 men every month that come in for a mammogram and/or ultrasound. Some are diagnostic for either confirmation of gynecomastia or pseudo-gynecomastia. Others are routine mammograms for the same reasons as women.

I recently had to have a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound . I had some redness and tenderness on my left breast. I know that from working at the Breast Care Center that this could be indicative of an aggressive form of breast cancer. Luckily it was just cyst, probably caused by a milk duct that had become infected. It resolved itself with no intervention. 

I really appreciate hearing the stories and experiences that you all share here. Leaving out any sort of identification of the source, I share these experiences with the clinicians at work. They all knew me as a man as I worked there and was a patient of thiers and now as a woman, coworker and still a patient. 

♥️Sophie♥️

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024