Author Topic: Pubertal Gynecomstia?  (Read 1961 times)

Offline babooz

I went to my physician a while back to get my chest checked out. He said he didn't think it was gynecomastia but he sent me on to get a CT scan because I had lumps behind my nipples and to make sure it was not cancer. The lumps were hard and sore to the touch. he said he didn't think it was gyne but it was some kind of glandular mass. I never got the scan done because of insurance problems.

My nipples are not puffy at all, but my chest is a big droopy. If I did have gynecomastia, I would say it's a really mild case. But if anything, it still bothers me a bit.

The visit to the doctor was about 4 months ago, and the lump was REALLY sore to the touch. Today, the lump is still there but it's significantly less sore and smaller i think. Is this a sign that it's pubertal gynecomastia and that it could be going away?

How do you know if you have pubertal gynecomastia?
[/quote]
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 03:46:59 AM by babooz »

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Growth and tenderness behind both nipples in a pubertal young man is NOT cancer -- that is virtually unheard of.

It is a sign of growth and activity, however.  If this has only recently started, then the best thing to do is not to worry about it.  It may disappear on its own -- no one knows why.  You can start to be concerned if it continues to grow and has stayed for two years or more.  Then it would be wise to seek help of an endocrinologist and possibly a surgeon.

For most cases of pubertal gynecomastia, the diagnosis is made in retrospect.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024