Author Topic: Post-op tingling  (Read 4685 times)

Offline hawkeye82ia

I am now 14 days post op.  I had the bilateral glands excised.  The recovery period has been smooth sailing, no discomfort, minimal swelling, no pain. However, I have a weird tingling sensation under my right nipple when my right arm is touched.  It's really odd since none of the muscles are activated, it happens when something brushes against my arm.  Has anyone else had tinglining or other abnormal sensations?   

Offline snycs10

• Bronze Member
Sounds like it's just your nerves regenerating. I'm at the same point as my recovery as you and I've had a simillar sensation and that's why doc told me to expect.

Offline 9Wolf

• Bronze Member
  • Seize the day! Be free of your burden...
Like the previous poster said, it's the nerves regenerating most likely. You might get some sharp pain that lasts a few seconds at a time here and there your third and fourth weeks, which would be the same thing. It's all the internal healing that's taking place. If it doesn't go away after a week (that same arm and sensation) then I'd ask the doc about that one specifically.
Triple Surgery done in Chandigarh, India (Jan 10, 2008):
1. Gynecomastia Surgery (simultaneously with #2)
2. Tonsillectomy
3. Septoplasty (5 days after #1 and 2)

3 lifelong problems wiped out in a flash of knives... Now recovering and excited beyond belief. :)

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Relax dude.... the tingling sensation is a normal part of the healing process. I had it also on my RHS...

As 9Wolf mentioned, you'll probably experience some sharp pains (or other weird sensations) over the next few weeks... Don't worry... it's just normal healing my man....  ;)

GB

Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There are a number of sensations that are very common after surgery.  First of all, your chest skin and nipples will be numb.  Patients describe it as a numb/sore feeling.  It takes weeks to months for normal feeling to return.

There will also be itchiness, tingling, sometimes a "slushy" sensation, super-sensitivity of the skin (you touch it and you jump), and occasionally a sharp shooting pain that disappears before you know it.  These are all normal, post-operative sensations and represent the nerves beginning to work again.  They will subside -- slowly.

Elliot Jacobs, MD, FACS
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline kane790

• Posting Member
I am 9 days post op and I feel  "squishiness" in my upper chest and it makes a sound when I rub it. Is this normal? Also, does anyone have any tricks on putting on compression garments by themselves? I have enlisted the help of my roomies every day but it would be nice to not have to wake them up after I shower every morning. Thank you in advance...
-Mike in So Cal

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
That "squishiness" is normal -- it is the "slushy" sensation that I previously described.  It is probably a few bubbles of air (introduced during liposuction) and some fluid and is of absolutely no consequence -- it will disappear on its own.

As to the garment, yes it usually helps to have another person put it on with you.  But with some effort and experimentation, you should be able to devise a system to put it on by yourself -- be imaginative.

Elliot Jacobs, MD, FACS

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024