Author Topic: 1 year out surgery, severe case.  (Read 4305 times)

Offline donnieosmond

• Bronze Member
Well guys, it's been a long road and honestly I do have some concerns at this point, I was hoping to get some advice from the docs and gyno pros out there...

First off, let me say that the overall progress has been great, ESPECIALLY on my left side, which is beginning to look terrific.The right side, however, is where my concerns lie.

Take a look at my pre-op pic first:

http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dealingyv8.jpg

The doctor said he removed a lot more gland from the right side, and said that this explains why one side is much larger than the other. My main question is, how do I know if it's swollen, fat or just more gland in there? Can I do this by touch? What does swollen breast tissue feel like? Is it hard or soft?

Most of my concern lies in the fact that I just moved to AZ from MI and I really don't have access to my doctor (easily) for any type of revision surgery, so I'm really just hoping things turn around for me and I don't have to deal with it. But, the issue is that they are so asymmetrical, it's almost as bad as pre-op.

Here's today:

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5148/4p5mospostopys6.jpg

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice, and I do know that it can take up to a year to see the final results. Right now I'm just having a hard time believing that the right side is going to shrink so drastically within that timeframe to match the left side. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Thanks ahead of time!

DrBermant

Well guys, it's been a long road and honestly I do have some concerns at this point, I was hoping to get some advice from the docs and gyno pros out there...

First off, let me say that the overall progress has been great, ESPECIALLY on my left side, which is beginning to look terrific.The right side, however, is where my concerns lie.

Take a look at my pre-op pic first:

http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dealingyv8.jpg

The doctor said he removed a lot more gland from the right side, and said that this explains why one side is much larger than the other. My main question is, how do I know if it's swollen, fat or just more gland in there? Can I do this by touch? What does swollen breast tissue feel like? Is it hard or soft?

Most of my concern lies in the fact that I just moved to AZ from MI and I really don't have access to my doctor (easily) for any type of revision surgery, so I'm really just hoping things turn around for me and I don't have to deal with it. But, the issue is that they are so asymmetrical, it's almost as bad as pre-op.

Here's today:

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5148/4p5mospostopys6.jpg

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice, and I do know that it can take up to a year to see the final results. Right now I'm just having a hard time believing that the right side is going to shrink so drastically within that timeframe to match the left side. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Thanks ahead of time!

Controlling Areola Size with Chest Lift Surgery can be a problem with some techniques.  Tissues can take some time to evolve after surgery but that depends on the original problem, what was done, skill of the surgeon, and other factors.  Sometimes revision surgery is an option.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Surgery

Offline donnieosmond

• Bronze Member
Doctor Bermant:

Thanks for the reply! I wasn't really talking about the nipple size, that I don't really care about to be honest with you. I'm talking about the overall size of the right breast in general, compared to the left one. If you look at the side views, you can see the difference on how it protrudes and it is noticeable with a t-shirt on. Also, the scar is much more fierce, and really everything about it is pretty crazy looking. Thanks again!

DrBermant

Doctor Bermant:

Thanks for the reply! I wasn't really talking about the nipple size, that I don't really care about to be honest with you. I'm talking about the overall size of the right breast in general, compared to the left one. If you look at the side views, you can see the difference on how it protrudes and it is noticeable with a t-shirt on. Also, the scar is much more fierce, and really everything about it is pretty crazy looking. Thanks again!

Standard Pictures for Revision Gynecomastia Surgery better demonstrate contour problems.  Such deformities can often also be managed during revision surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Surgery

Offline Spleen

Dude, it's *nothing* like as bad as pre-op.  This is a time to look back and remember to keep your expectations realistic.  There's probably nothing on your body that's perfectly symmetrical as it is.  I think you have a big improvement and ought to concentrate on healing up and enjoying your new look.

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
Give it time, they heal at different rates and this is normal.  Mine are healing at different rates, my right looks a lot better than the left.  Don't start panicking until 12 months are up. 
Surgery done 18th March 2008

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Spleen said it very well, nothing else on your body is perfectly symmetrical either.

Take a photo of someone you think is very good looking. A straight on full face photo is best if you can find one. Examine the picture carefully. Are both eyes the same size? Ears? compare the size and location of each feature. Draw a horizontal line through the eyes, lips, tops of the ears. and ear lobes. Are all the lines parallel?  Then locate the exact center of the brow line, tip if the nose, upper lip, teeth, and chin. Try to draw a straight line down the center of the face through those center points.

I have known only one man who had a perfectly symmetrical face. He was one of the homeliest people I have ever known.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Bigchest123

• Bronze Member
lol dude no problem.... all u gotta do is start some lifting and tighten up get some chest muscle and you will be stragiht.... trust me worry not man lifting weights is the key to life.... (lol)

Offline donnieosmond

• Bronze Member
Hey guys, I'm about a year out from surgery now and overall not too happy with the end result. Now, don't get me wrong, it's an improvement, but my problem is there is a large degree of asymmetry between the left and right side now. The right side is about half of what it was before surgery, and overall looks like no surgery took place, but it's still very fatty. The left side is virtually fatless and has actually gone to the point where the nipple is crinkled up (ie winking). My roommate says it looks like my chest "got punched in the eye".

Pre-op: http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dealingyv8.jpg

Post-op: http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5148/4p5mospostopys6.jpg

The second image is 5 months post op, but it still looks similar today (12 months), if not with more asymmetry. And I even remember the doctor saying that he should have maybe taken more fat out of the right side, but I don't care at this point as long as I'm able to make it go away.

I suspect that 80% of this is my fault, since I should have lost weight prior to the surgery. If I lose a good deal of weight, the breasts should equal out correct? The right side needs to shrink quite a bit before they are symmetrical in size. I don't necessarily care about how the nipple looks weird, right now I just want to look good in a t-shirt. For the record, I'm consistently stretching, exercising and eating right every day.

Dumb question: Getting surgery didn't somehow 'alienate' the breast from losing weight right? Like there's not some sort of weird thing where it's always gonna be this size now that I've had surgery in that area? I really want to avoid a revision surgery.

And also, I want to make sure that when I work out my pecs this will not make me some freak of nature. There is still a little pain on my left side because I feel it's almost too tight. For example when I raise the left arm above my head, straight up in the air, and the pec is stretched.

DrBermant

Hey guys, I'm about a year out from surgery now and overall not too happy with the end result. Now, don't get me wrong, it's an improvement, but my problem is there is a large degree of asymmetry between the left and right side now. The right side is about half of what it was before surgery, and overall looks like no surgery took place, but it's still very fatty. The left side is virtually fatless and has actually gone to the point where the nipple is crinkled up (ie winking). My roommate says it looks like my chest "got punched in the eye".

Pre-op: http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dealingyv8.jpg

Post-op: http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5148/4p5mospostopys6.jpg

The second image is 5 months post op, but it still looks similar today (12 months), if not with more asymmetry. And I even remember the doctor saying that he should have maybe taken more fat out of the right side, but I don't care at this point as long as I'm able to make it go away.

I suspect that 80% of this is my fault, since I should have lost weight prior to the surgery. If I lose a good deal of weight, the breasts should equal out correct? The right side needs to shrink quite a bit before they are symmetrical in size. I don't necessarily care about how the nipple looks weird, right now I just want to look good in a t-shirt. For the record, I'm consistently stretching, exercising and eating right every day.

Dumb question: Getting surgery didn't somehow 'alienate' the breast from losing weight right? Like there's not some sort of weird thing where it's always gonna be this size now that I've had surgery in that area? I really want to avoid a revision surgery.

And also, I want to make sure that when I work out my pecs this will not make me some freak of nature. There is still a little pain on my left side because I feel it's almost too tight. For example when I raise the left arm above my head, straight up in the air, and the pec is stretched.

There are normally fewer fat cells after male breast reduction involving liposuction.  However, remaining fat cells can put on more fat and may still be resistant to losing fat.  Men just tend to put fat first on the breast and belly regions and take it off those regions last.  It is a gamble.  That is why I recommend my patients get to a weight they are happy with before surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024