Author Topic: 6-days Post Op  (Read 8463 times)

Offline dwl

• Posting Member
I was positing on my pre-surgery thread, but figured I'd move over. 

So far, so good - 6 days on the other side and happy so far.   The vest is killing me, but I'm keeping at it.   No real pain, but def still bruised.   

A couple questions for others in post op.   

1.  My chest seems to have a burning sensation - normal?

2.  My vision seems to be blurry at times - especially at a distance.  I've never had any problems with vision, but it's just weird.

Anyway, just thought i'd continue to post.   

Best,

DWL

Offline alphajc

• Posting Member
I am currently 4 days postop.

I think burning, tingling, itching, numbing sensations are normal...it would be part of the healing process.

In regards to vision...it might be affected by the painkillers you are still taking...maybe sleeping too much or your contacts...not sure.  If the blurriness keeps up, you should go see an optometrist IMO.

Offline Bobby - LAgyne

• Gold Member
thanks for for the update DWL,
i just posted on your pre-op discussion.
how was the tube removing experience?
can i ask you to post some pics, it you don't mind.

Offline dwl

• Posting Member
@LA - removing the drains were a pain....literally.   I didn't realize how big the end of the tubes were.   LOL.   In short, it felt like someone was holding a flame to my skin.  After about 5 minutes, the pain went away.

Today is my first actual day back in the office, and it feels good to be flat chested.   My wife was laughing at me because i put on a polo, which I would have never worn before. She was laughing because I was like a little kid.  Pretty funny stuff.

The vest is still a pain, but getting used to it.   Frankly, it actually feels good to have on because I'm still not used to my "new" chest.  I'm still a bit nervous touching it, and of course it's still numb - so I actually enjoy wearing it.....to a point.

Anyway, more than happy to post some pics - attached.  A couple notes

1. I'm about 15 pounds over my ideal weight, but went ahead with the surgery anyway.   My gyno was dragging me down so much, now i can "proudly" jog again.  
2. These pics were 4 days post op.
3.  My sides / armpits are really swollen, as you can see.

Thanks.

DWL

Offline dwl

• Posting Member
A couple other thoughts......

I've been reading a lot of posts about uneven nipples, chest not being perfect, etc....but I think we need to step back and think about it.    First, many of us wouldn't take off our shirts because of the gyno, wouldn't wear t-shirts, etc......there are many things we wouldn't do.

I dont think there's a doctor in the world can give you the exact results many of us would have liked, but I think that's just life.   If your doctor mislead you, that's another issue, but perfection can't always be achieved.

For me, I'm happy if my chest isn't exactly perfect because I have a whole new view of life, and frankly, much better than it was before.  I'm excited for my next 50 years.

Though, there are some extreme cases that unhappiness is warranted, but guys, be happy with the change.  Embrace it.   

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
dwl,

That's a great early postop result.  You're obviously bruised and swollen, but you can already see you're going to look great; I know you must be very happy.
I have to say, I admire your mature comments on handling postop results.  Patients do really need to have realistic expectations, and unfortunately, many patients go into surgery with unrealistic ones. 

Glad you're doing well.  I would imagine your blurred vision is medication-related.  Hopefully it's better by now.

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline dwl

• Posting Member
@Pope:  Thank you.  I'm pleased at this point.

In regard to the blurred vision - still hasn't gone away.  I'm taking my antibiotics, tylenol and multi-vitamins.   Thoughts?

Thanks

DWL

Offline dwl

• Posting Member
In regard to my vision question - I talked to Delgado and they use an eye lubricant, which can cause blurriness.  I was told to try over the counter saline rinse.

I wasn't sure if anyone else has had this problem, but wanted to pass on the info.

Thanks.

• Supporting Doctors
We almost always use an eye lubricant in surgery, but that usually wears off with tears by that evening.  It's unusual to have blurred vision this late after surgery, unless you're on a drug that could cause it.  Run this by your surgeon.

Dr. Pope

Offline dwl

• Posting Member
@Pope -

Thanks for the feedback - will do.

While i have you on this thread.  Random question (I should ask my doc, but you're here. :)  ), and I can probably find it on the forum, but what's does the compression vest actually do / accomplish?  

Offline eager1983

• Posting Member
Reduces swelling

• Supporting Doctors
Correct.  For the two weeks +/- that you wear it, it compresses your tissue to limit the swelling.  That's all it is.

Dr. Pope

Offline dwl

• Posting Member
Thanks Dr. Pope

You mentioned 2 + / - weeks of wearing it - I was told to wear it for 6 weeks.   Thoughts?

Thanks.

Offline Bobby - LAgyne

• Gold Member
EXCELLENT results!!
i'm very happy for you.

thanks for posting pics.
i immediately imagined how mine is going to look like after surgery. my case can have similarities to yours. buut les

Please post more pics in a few weeks and months to see the final results.

regarding the compression garments, Delgado says it clearly on his website that he requires his patients to wear it for six weeks. i would follow his instructions for the best results.

thanks

• Supporting Doctors
I tell patients 2 weeks day and night with the compression vest, then change to a tight shirt after that, like UnderArmour.  It's tough to wear those vests longer than a couple of weeks.  I've had this surgery myself, and all I could take was two weeks.  At the 2 week mark I was actually on a long airline flight and took the vest off during the flight.  It was driving me nuts.

Dr. Pope, MD

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024