Author Topic: Survey on developing and living with gynecomastia  (Read 10632 times)

Offline Kelly10nss

• Posting Member
A few year ago we conducted a census of the members about their experiences with having gyno and wearing bras.  Perhaps it's time to conduct an update on the survey.
1. At what age was your onset of gynecomastia? Was there any additional growth after the initial onset and to what extent?

Probably around 14.

2. What was the primary cause (ie unresolved hormone imbalance as a teenager, side effect of medication etc)

Nothing unusual. I think it was just how I was wired.

3. At what age did you begin to experiment with wearing a bra, at what age did you begin to wear a bra regularly, what is your current age?

At 16. Now I'm 55. Wear a bra about half the time.

4. What is your bra size?

38B

5. What is your preferred style of bra?

Underwire.

6. What do you see as the benefits to wearing a bra?

Keeps everything nice and tight.

Offline Cisco

• Bronze Member
A few year ago we conducted a census of the members about their experiences with having gyno and wearing bras.  Perhaps it's time to conduct an update on the survey.
1. At what age was your onset of gynecomastia? Was there any additional growth after the initial onset and to what extent?  I began developing gyno at about 13 or 14.  during treatment of prostate cancer which included hormone blockers I experienced some additional growth. I'm now 68 and during the past few years I've had periodic episodes of further development.
2. What was the primary cause (ie unresolved hormone imbalance as a teenager, side effect of medication etc)  Hormone imbalance as a teenager
3. At what age did you begin to experiment with wearing a bra, at what age did you begin to wear a bra regularly, what is your current age?  I'm now 68 began wearing a bra regularly about 10 years ago.
4. What is your bra size? 38B but may be approaching a 38C
5. What is your preferred style of bra?  T-shirt, underwire, seamless cup
6. What do you see as the benefits to wearing a bra?  Primarily support I feel more comfortable when wearing a bra.

Offline Cisco

• Bronze Member
This survey was posted about two weeks and there have been more than 700 Views however only 16 Replies.  There's strength in numbers only by sharing in our common  experiences can we individually draw encouragement  and strength.  Take a moment and record your life experience as a man with breasts.

Offline Alchemist

• Gold Member
1. At what age was your onset of gynecomastia? Was there any additional growth after the initial onset and to what extent?
2. What was the primary cause (ie unresolved hormone imbalance as a teenager, side effect of medication etc)
3. At what age did you begin to experiment with wearing a bra, at what age did you begin to wear a bra regularly, what is your current age?
4. What is your bra size?
5. What is your preferred style of bra?
6. What do you see as the benefits to wearing a bra?

1 - Onset was at 11+., growth continued to about 16
2 - puberty
3 - NONE
4 - As best I can measure according to directions on internet, about 50 DD
5 - NONE
6 - NONE
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 03:52:13 AM by Alchemist »

Offline expedient-traveller

• Silver Member
Relative to the questions:
1) I cannot really say when gynecomastia started but I finally recognized I had boobs about 4 years ago when I was 60. At that time I was a sincere 44A and could fill the cup completely. As to additional growth...are you kidding? Went from that 44A to my present 46DD/DDD and still growing.
2) Primary cause was hormone imbalance that was exacerbated by needing to take medication for my prostate.
3) The bra started 2.5 years ago out of necessity. Without the bra the upper chest pain, upper back pain and fatigue were extreme. I must wear a bra regularly and I am currently 64 years old.
4) I currently wear either a 46DD or a 46DDD depending on the bra manufacturer.
5) Full coverage underwire! I cannot get the support I need without one.
6) Wearing a bra supports my breasts adding shape and form to them as well as taking the strain off of my upper back and upper chest.

Addendum as of October 31, 2019: I am currently 66 years old, on the outside but 24 years old inside, The former 46DD is now 46G/H. Still wear an underwire. Be well all!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 07:41:41 PM by expedient-traveller »

Lister

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]1. At what age was your onset of gynecomastia? Was there any additional growth after the initial onset and to what extent?[/font][/color]
I don't know about initially, I think i had it back in high school.  I recognized it shortly before turning 40- I've only been tracking growth since about a month ago.  They *feel* fuller, but that's just feel.

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]2. What was the primary cause (ie unresolved hormone imbalance as a teenager, side effect of medication etc)[/font][/color]
Unknown

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]3. At what age did you begin to experiment with wearing a bra, at what age did you begin to wear a bra regularly, what is your current age?[/font][/color]
39 for experiment, just a week ago for regularly, at age 40

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]4. What is your bra size?[/font][/color]
According to online measurements, 42G, in practice closer to 42 c or d

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]5. What is your preferred style of bra?[/font][/color]
I don't have a preference yet

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]6. What do you see as the benefits to wearing a bra?[/font][/color]
For me it's primarily about protecting my (now) sensitive nipples, though the support is something I'd never thought about... It feels nice.
After only a week, I already feel weird when I don't wear one.

Offline mgr

• Bronze Member
I may be a bit late to this string, but decided to respond anyway.

A few year ago we conducted a census of the members about their experiences with having gyno and wearing bras.  Perhaps it's time to conduct an update on the survey.
It appeared at age 56 after my radical prostatectomy. I have also lost both my testes over the course of 12 years with the last one being removed in 2017.  My body attacked them after my vasectomy. I am currently on T replacement.
2. What was the primary cause (ie unresolved hormone imbalance as a teenager, side effect of medication etc) Low T causing an imbalance between T and E.
3. At what age did you begin to experiment with wearing a bra, at what age did you begin to wear a bra regularly, what is your current age? 57
4. What is your bra size? 38C
5. What is your preferred style of bra? Underwire soft cup unlined
6. What do you see as the benefits to wearing a bra? Support

hammer

I may be a bit late to this string, but decided to respond anyway.

It appeared at age 56 after my radical prostatectomy. I have also lost both my testes over the course of 12 years with the last one being removed in 2017.  My body attacked them after my vasectomy.

So I'm not they only one who lost his testicles after a vasectomy! I have never meet anyone before, however I figured I wasn't alone! I was 34/35. They removed the 1st thinking that it was cancer, but it had rotted then took a year before removing the 2nd after testing my T levels were so low that they figured the other was rotted too, as it was hurting still and sure enough it was. Life still goes on with out them, just with breast that grow like well watered weeds!

bikerbob

1. At what age was your onset of gynecomastia? Was there any additional growth after the initial onset and to what extent?  I noticed them at age 69.  I am now 70.  They seem be growing but very slowly.
2. What was the primary cause (ie unresolved hormone imbalance as a teenager, side effect of medication etc) No idea.  My testosterone is right where it should be and my doctor doesn't seem too concerned about them.
3. At what age did you begin to experiment with wearing a bra, at what age did you begin to wear a bra regularly, what is your current age? Started wearing one regularly about 6 months ago.
4. What is your bra size? Probably 42A.  The cups are loose on a 42B.  See question 5.
5. What is your preferred style of bra? Stretchy cup pullover.  I don't need a lot of support and they are easier to conceal.  One is a little bigger than the other.  The one size fits all cups get around that problem.  
6. What do you see as the benefits to wearing a bra? Support.  They aren't that big but they hurt if they are not supported.  I started wearing one for mountain biking, now I wear one every day.

Offline mgr

• Bronze Member
Hammer,
You are correct, you are not alone.  My urologist said it is one of the risks, but they just don’t mention it. 
Mine may have been a bit more complicated.  I had hernia surgery in 1982 and apparently contracted an infection then.  My right testes hurt from then at a controllable level unitl after my 1998 vasectomy, which put the pain into overdrive.  The piain became so bad it was unbearable.  Then all of a sudden it shrank..sort of deflated...if you will and hurt terribly.  They removed it and said it was dying and was infected.  That was in 2005 or 2006.  In 2012 I was diagnosed with prostate cancer gleason score 8, which was not good.  I had the surgery to remove the prostate and instead of it being a 3 hour surgery it was a 6 hour surgery.  The two years or more prior to that it was believed I had a prostate infection.  As it turns out, the surgeon said it looked like my prostate was infected for 30 years, which is why he struggled so hard to have it removed.  The final pathology was a gleason of 6.  They were baffeled as to where the 8 was, but thought the infection killed the 8 and left the 6.  I imagine both were in there.  Then the next year my left teste started hurting and I had an epiditiectomy in 2016 and the pain subsided. The epiditimus was in very bad shape and looked like it had been streatched to its limits etc.  The next May, just over 1 year later, I had my last teste removed.  I feel so much better. It was dying too, but was not infected.  I was told some men’s bodies do attack the testes if they are no longer attached as they are supposed to (say after the vasectomy).  As my last teste was dying, my T dropped and the ratio between the T and the E gave me some gyno.  I am now a 38C, but my endo does not think I should have them removed at this time becasue she thinks there is a good chance they will return in a year or two.  I am on Androgel and are working on getting that dosage correct.  I tried Finistride (spelling) years prior because of the prostate swelling with the infection, but it quickly started to give me gyno, so my prior urologist took me off of it. If you are still growing, you should think about going off that drug if you are still on it. Best to you! MGR

hammer

MRG,
I'm sorry to hear of the crap that you had to go through! Just the chronic pain even manageable for all those years is hard enough, not to even mention the cancer!

As far as going through surgery to remove the breast, I never felt it was a good idea. Without having the testes I didn't think it would be worth while. I had a heart attack right after I stopped getting my HRT injections. We never connect the two together as it was back in 1995 and it wasn't known to happen then. Now you hear all those TV ads about legal actions about it.

We have guys post here on the forum that they feel like a woman on top and a man on bottom!

Well, I don't know about you, but I'm a full 46H on top and I've lost the boys on bottom and I'm still all man!

Offline mgr

• Bronze Member
Hammer,
I am in your camp. I may have breasts, no boys, shirkage, and no ability to function down there, but I still view myself as a man and nothting else.  I have nobody to impress or worry about. I have been married for 36 years, retired early, and just do not have to impress anyone. I shoot guns, walk and carry my golf bag for 18 or 36 holes 130 times a year and can still outhit (distance) 95% of the men my age (59).

Even though I have only had them a couple of years, I have come to accept them as part of me and that is the way it goes.
Best,
MGR

hammer

Hammer,
I am in your camp. I may have breasts, no boys, shirkage, and no ability to function down there, but I still view myself as a man and nothting else.  I have nobody to impress or worry about. I have been married for 36 years, retired early, and just do not have to impress anyone. I shoot guns, walk and carry my golf bag for 18 or 36 holes 130 times a year and can still outhit (distance) 95% of the men my age (59).

Even though I have only had them a couple of years, I have come to accept them as part of me and that is the way it goes.
Best,
MGR

Great attitude!

Offline swellingup

A few years ago we conducted a census of the members about their experiences with having gyno and wearing bras.  Perhaps it's time to conduct an update on the survey.
1. At what age was your onset of gynecomastia? Was there any additional growth after the initial onset and to what extent? It officially began in my early 50s. My current size is substantial (having nothing to do with weight issues).
2. What was the primary cause (ie unresolved hormone imbalance as a teenager, side effect of medication etc)  Age, lowT and prostate issues managed by large Saw Palmetto doses, a slippery slope leading to more potent herbal supplements to promote growth. Google autogynephilia.
3. At what age did you begin to experiment with wearing a bra, at what age did you begin to wear a bra regularly, what is your current age?  Late 50s, after a painful impact incident at a gym, to protect breasts and nipples. Another slippery slope leading to formal bra fittings and full-time wear.
4. What is your bra size? I went from a 40A to a 38D from herbs and lowT.
5. What is your preferred style of bra? Sports, demi and balconette
6. What do you see as the benefits to wearing a bra? Support, protection, comfort and fashion as my shyness has ebbed.

Offline expedient-traveller

• Silver Member

[font="Calibri",sans-serif]1. At what age was your onset of gynecomastia? Was there any additional growth after the initial onset and to what extent? My growth started in my late 40's but I did not notice it until I was 60. After I came to notice it I ignored it and hid it as best I could...but I kept growing. Went from a 44A to a current 46DDD
 2. What was the primary cause (ie unresolved hormone imbalance as a teenager, side effect of medication etc) The primary cause was hormonal imbalance and since I had a problem with my prostate I took supplements for it which simple fed the growth.
 3. At what age did you begin to experiment with wearing a bra, at what age did you begin to wear a bra regularly, what is your current age? I started wearing a sports bra to hide the growth but that did not last as the growth continued. I started wearing a bra when I was 60 and I am now a young 65.
 4. What is your bra size? It depends on the bra manufacturer. I range from a 46DD to a 46DDD but usually the 46DDD.
 5. What is your preferred style of bra? I like the support I get from underwire bras.
 6. What do you see as the benefits to wearing a bra? Aside from giving me good support, they relieve the upper chest pain, back pain and help me to walk more upright. As a side note: as I have become more accepting of my "assets" I like the shape the underwire bra provides.
[/font]

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024