Author Topic: Very Pleased with Dr. Pensler and staff so far day 19  (Read 2262 times)

Offline anoroc

• Posting Member
Very Pleased with Dr. Pensler and staff so far day 19
I wanted to give my initial feedback regarding Dr. Pensler.  I earn a living by commission only and I understand that often times the only time you get feedback if it's negative.  More often than not the good service goes unreported as people continue on with their lives.

I am a 45 year old male who has suffered with this condition since puberty.  I am confident much of it had to do with significant weight gains in my early years and into my adult years as well.  After researching on this site I learned of Dr. Pensler.  I first called several local Dr.s where I live and I was surprised that not a one of them could tell me what my total costs were going to be.  Most said it would depend on what they found as they started the procedure.  In addition, two said there would be other costs that weren't theirs and they couldn't tell me what they would be.  To top it off....they only did a few a year.  NOT happening!

I had a phone consultation with Dr. Penlser and his office staff emailed me the total cost of the procedure.  It was nice to know for sure what the total cost was going to be.  About two months afterward I scheduled my procedure.  My wife and I drove to Chicago the morning of the surgery.  It took us 4.5 hours.  We met with Dr. Pensler at 1:00pm and he made us both feel at ease.  What a nice man.  We learned so much about him, his family, the staff and he chatted with us and answered all of our questions.  At 2:00 we had the surgery.  At 5:00 we were driving back home for our long drive.

This is day six post op and I feel great.  I am wearing an uncomfortable compression vest that digs into the sides of my armpits...but small price to pay.  I have felt discomfort but no significant pain.  I have some swelling to the sides of my chest and mild bruising.  I believe he told me he removed about 1pound from each side.  Mostly fat and excised just a small amount of gland.

I will keep you posted on how things progress but in the meantime I wanted to say thank you Dr. Pensler and all his staff for making us feel so comfortable.  

Updated to follow next week.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 09:18:24 PM by anoroc »

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Glad to hear that you had such a positive experience.  Dr. Pensler is a regular on this forum, as I'm sure you know.

Regarding the compression vest cutting into your armpits: I see that fairly often and instruct my patients to cut the seam in the armpit area.  It won't diminish compression across your chest but it will relieve the pressure in the armpit area.  I've seen skin breakdown from some of these compression vests.

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline anoroc

• Posting Member
Dr. Pope, thanks for the advice.  I may just do that.

Offline anoroc

• Posting Member
So today is day 13.  My swelling has gone down considerably.  My chest looks pretty darn good.  I am happy with the results.  I know I have a lot of healing to do yet.  I do feel some hard lumps in several areas of my chest, especially the left one where most of the work was done.  Dr. Pensler assures me this is normal so I will just wait things out.  Bruising is mostly gone.  Vissualy, my chest looks best when I stand up straight.  If I arch my back forward some and flex a little I do see some irregularites in the shape of the skin.  Kind of bumpy a little and where i see that I can feel a harder spot followed by a small indentation.  No question my shirts are fitting better, even without the garment.  I did change the compression vest to a tank top style and I love it.  Dr. Pensler said it was ok after two weeks.  I did it one day earler but its pretty tight and seems to hold things in place nicely. 

If anyone has any questions for me just let me know.  I don't check here everyday but I have been popping in and out every 2 or 3 days.

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
Re: Very Pleased with Dr. Pensler and staff so far day 13
Be patient with the contour irregularities. It takes up to 6 months for all the swelling to go away. Compression is the key during the early stages.
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

Offline anoroc

• Posting Member
Re: Very Pleased with Dr. Pensler and staff so far day 19
Day 19 and swelling is down quite a bit.  I am very pleased.  I do get some semi sharp tingling around my nipples every once in awhile.  I think it must be nerve endings healing or something along those lines.

Still feel hard tissue in several spots.

I also had flank lipo...it's the first time i mention here since by gynecomastia was most important to me.  At this point I can't see a difference from the lipo to my flanks.  I think he took fat from my back area and that could be why I don't notice it so much.

My chest is looking flatter.  I can see that I need to lose some weight as it will help refine things some.  I do think it looks better every week.

Wearing a vest the first two weeks was horrible.  By week three...not so bad.  One more week and no more vest. I switched to a tank top style and it fits great under t shirts.  Dr. Pensler had his staff order it for me and shipped it right to my home...and for quite a bit less than the online price so it saved me some bucks. I have not started to work out again yet but will start adding some regular cardo this weekend and some leg work.

If you live in the Mid-west and don't mind a drive to Chicago...I highly recomment Dr. Pensler.  Obviously I don't have anything to compare to but my wife and I are both pleased.
I don't know if anyone is reading this but I just thought it might be helpful to some.

Offline invest78

Anoroc,

I have followed your post and they have been very informative.  I had my surgery with Dr. Pensler on Monday this week.  I finally got to take a shower today and I have never wanted to take a shower so bad!!!!  I had more gland on my left side, however my right side is more swollen.  My chest didn't look too bad considering I just had surgery 72 hours earlier.  My wife laughed and said, "you have pecs instead of manboobs now."  I go for my 7 day follow up on Monday.  Dr. Pensler's office has been a pleasure to work with.  Thanks again for your post Anoroc.

Offline anoroc

• Posting Member
Invest78-

Congrats on your surgery.  I am glad you had a good experience as well.  Since I had to drive so far my initial follow up was by phone call and me week follow up was through email and photos.  I am at day 21 and doing pretty good.  I still get a sharp pain around the nipple area once in awhile but things do look good. 

My biggest issue now is i haven't worked out in three weeks.  I need to get back to the gym before i put on more weight.

Good luck.

Offline invest78

Anoroc,

I am at day 18 and feeling pretty good.  Still some swelling and bruising, but seems a little better each day.  I was looking back at my pictures I have taken and there is a huge difference between day 3 and day 14.  I have the semi-sharp pains now and again around the nips as well.  If I remember right, you should be out of your vest by now.  How does your chest feel without the vest on 24/7?  Take care and keep me up to date on how your healing is going.

Invest78

Offline roopbob

Do you have any before and after photos?  How much did your procedure cost after it was all said and done?  I am going to get this done this summer for sure.  I have two doctors in mind at the moment but Dr. Pensler is closer to me.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024