Author Topic: How does weight gain/loss affect results post surgery?  (Read 2896 times)

Offline buyside

• Posting Member
Okay here's my story in a nutshell:  I had my gynecomastia removed in the summer of 2007.  The doc removed a combo of gland and fat.  The gland was interlaced with the fat and he only removed about 10cc's of fat from both sides.  At the time, my bodyfat percentage was probably about 9% so I was lean and in great shape.  I was happy with the results.

Fast forward to today, a little more than two years later.  Due to a lot of personal circumstances in my life I'm in pretty bad shape.  My bodyfat percentage is probably in the high teens and my chest looks bad.  I wear my stage two garment to improve the contour.

So, my question is this: Once I get back into shape again will my chest look like it did after surgery  in 2007 or do I need to get some sort of surgery again?  I know this is a broad question to answer depending on a variety of variables but I'm curious to hear what others think.  Also, does fat gain cause the gland to grow back?  My guess is no but I'm curious to hear what some of you think.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 10:56:56 PM by buyside »

Offline fluffy_tits

• Gold Member
you might get fat there but that gland ain't growin back!  I'm currently in the stage of losing weight and shit.  well not weight but fat...cause im liftin weights so my weight is not goin to go down like one would think!

Fluffy( o )v( o )...
My before and after surgery pics: Leave a comment if you look!! (HAD THE WRONG LINK UP! THIS IS THE ONE WITH ALL THE PICS)
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=19342.0

DrBermant

Okay here's my story in a nutshell:  I had my gynecomastia removed in the summer of 2007.  The doc removed a combo of gland and fat.  The gland was interlaced with the fat and he only removed about 10cc's of fat from both sides.  At the time, my bodyfat percentage was probably about 9% so I was lean and in great shape.  I was happy with the results.

Fast forward to today, a little more than two years later.  Due to a lot of personal circumstances in my life I'm in pretty bad shape.  My bodyfat percentage is probably in the high teens and my chest looks bad.  I wear my stage two garment to improve the contour.

So, my question is this: Once I get back into shape again will my chest look like it did after surgery  in 2007 or do I need to get some sort of surgery again?  I know this is a broad question to answer depending on a variety of variables but I'm curious to hear what others think.  Also, does fat gain cause the gland to grow back?  My guess is no but I'm curious to hear what some of you think.  Thanks.

Male Body Fat goes on first on the chest, stomach and flanks. It comes off these regions last.  After weight gain followed by weight loss, a final contour is not totally predictable. Fat that has increased on the chest, may not resolve with subsequent weight loss.

Then there are skin issues. With weight gain, skin can be stretched. With weight loss, there can be an element of Male Chest Drooping or Sagging that can cause contour issues.

Factors causing weight gain can sometimes Cause Gynecomastia Gland Growth. Obeisity itself may increase leptins in the body that can stimulate breast gland growth.  I have seen patients with much larger gland elements after weight gain than what they were able to demonstrate with younger photographs.

I see many patients after weight loss. The most common factor is that the patients tell me they feel better about themselves. Many also report a significant improvment in their chest contours.  When the weight loss, leaves residual deformity, then revision surgery may be an option.

Body Shaping Garments can offer temporary contouring while stabilizing other factors.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Surgery

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
10 cc's sounds like almost nothing ???

that's a very interesting question, and it would depend probably on how much gland tissue came out, since it's designed to develop fat content and not let it go.  if the gland was removed, you would figure it would be normal non-gyne fat, but if it was lipo and left a lot of the gland tissue in place, there would be a better chance it would stay. 

that's my best answer, but it seems like the only real way to find out is to do the weight loss and watch the results for yourself. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline buyside

• Posting Member
10 cc's sounds like almost nothing ???

that's a very interesting question, and it would depend probably on how much gland tissue came out, since it's designed to develop fat content and not let it go.  if the gland was removed, you would figure it would be normal non-gyne fat, but if it was lipo and left a lot of the gland tissue in place, there would be a better chance it would stay. 

that's my best answer, but it seems like the only real way to find out is to do the weight loss and watch the results for yourself. 

Yeah I was surprised how little was taken out.  But, like I said, I was happy with the results.

I guess you're right though.  I'll just have to get back in shape and see how things work out.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024