Author Topic: Does the areola shrink in size post-surgery?  (Read 2837 times)

BrandonPrice31

I had gyno surgery and my areola don't appear to be reduced in size. I think they were stretched out due to weight gain then loss.

Does the areola skin shrink slowly after gyno surgery?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Someone else just asked about areolar shrinkage about 3 questions ago...But briefly, the areola does typically reduce in size after gynecomastia surgery, but the degree to which it will shrink varies.  Previous weight gain and loss may be associated with less shrinkage as compared to a typical "puffy nipple" presentation.  For patients in whom the areola remains large, a peri-areolar reduction can be done under local anesthesia once you know that it won't shrink adequately on its own.  Speak to your surgeon.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

BrandonPrice31

My question: is it possible for the areola to shrink after the surgery weeks + months(assuming it didn't right after the operation).

Someone else just asked about areolar shrinkage about 3 questions ago...But briefly, the areola does typically reduce in size after gynecomastia surgery, but the degree to which it will shrink varies.  Previous weight gain and loss may be associated with less shrinkage as compared to a typical "puffy nipple" presentation.  For patients in whom the areola remains large, a peri-areolar reduction can be done under local anesthesia once you know that it won't shrink adequately on its own.  Speak to your surgeon.

Rick Silverman

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Most of the areolar shrinkage occurs during the actual operation.  If there is any additional shrinkage months after surgery, it is hardly noticeable.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024