Author Topic: Shower after surgery  (Read 7612 times)

Offline Angel_of_Death

• Silver Member
I have heard people say that they could not shower for at least a week after surgery because of all the bandages.

Is there a way around that ?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Showering after surgery depends upon the judgment of your surgeon.  For example, if extensive bandaging and/or drains are used, then you should not shower.  You might be able to sit in a bathtub, though, with a few inches of water -- check with your doctor beforehand.

Most sutured wounds will seal within about 48 hrs or so.  Since I use no drains routinely and only dissolving sutures, I usually allow my patients to shower within 48 hrs of surgery. But that is my regimen -- other surgeons may differ.

Best advice:  ask your surgeon about the earliest and safest time that you can shower.

Elliot Jacobs, MD, FACS
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
My drains came out after about 36 hours, at which time they also took off the bandage wrapped around me.  Once all that was out, they applied these waterproof dressings over my nipples and the two drain holes.  Then I could shower.  So this was in the first 48 hours roughly. Certainly didn't have to wait a week.  Now, if you have more serious swelling and bleeding, you will obviously have the drains in for longer and therefore probably have to wait longer to shower.  It all depends on how severe your case is. (and the surgeon).
Surgery done 18th March 2008

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
I agree with Dr. Jacobs that it is best to check with your surgeon about when he feels it is safe to shower.  I use drains in a lot of my surgeries (altho not usually with gynecomastia surgery), and I always allow my patients with drains to shower the day after surgery.  I instruct them to apply antibiotic ointment and clean, dry gauze to the drain sites after showering.  But tub baths are not allowed until after all wounds are healed, including drain sites.

George H Pope, MD, FACS
Orlando, FL
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024