Author Topic: cardio before breakfast  (Read 9933 times)

Offline carguy

• Gold Member
  • boobfree 2003!!
I've been doing this for a few weeks and I've already started losing a few pounds. I know its not muscle loss because I still lift weights (later on in the day. DO NOT LIFT WITHOUT EATING ANYTHING BEFORE) and eat and drink plenty of protein through the day.
I only do cardio for 30 minutes. 20 min continuously and 10 minutes walking which comes up to be 2 miles and about 400 calories for my weight.
I heard that since you sleep all night, you have no carbs to use as energy in the morning. This is when your body uses fat as energy. After fat is protein (muscle).
This is why I take a protein shake before I do my 30 min cardio.
Try and see if it works for you and come back here with the results.
I wonder why the all personal trainers I've talked to in the gym never told me about this. I guess they want their money first.
I was at 240 now im at 229. I've always looked like I'm under 200 and I've ran a 6:30 min mile in my higher weight... I'm 5'10 and I think my ideal weight is 190.

Oh yeah, I measure everything I eat now. I'll try to have 1 or 2 servings of everything now. Like 1 cup of brown rice along with some turkey breast. I also take a protein shake(24 grams) in between meals as a sort of snack.

Offline Dave_8

• Gold Member
Does this really work? How long did it take for you to drop to 229?
If you have gyne, dont expect not be laughed at.

Just like if you walk into a locker room, you're gonna see some hairy asses and dicks.

Unfortunately for me, both have occured in my life way too many times.

Offline carguy

• Gold Member
  • boobfree 2003!!
Only way to find out is to try it.
I really don't know the science behind it. I just got the idea from reading articles.
I got to 229 in about 2 1/2 weeks.  I did it everyday for at least 20 minutes continuously. I've heard that it may be too fast to lose weight but I think Im a different case.
Like a pound day. I need to check my body fat sometime too.
The reason I say Im different is because I think my fitness level is high compared to my weight.
I've never run under a 7 min mile even when I was under 200 pounds. I ran that when I was like 240.
Anyway, If you are paranoid about losing muscle, eat plenty of good carbs(like brown rice) after your workout and take in protein through shakes and food (turkey breast,etc).
I'll let you guys know if I start to plateau.

Offline Dave_8

• Gold Member
I think I'll try that tomorrow because christmas break starts. Hope it works.

Offline GB07

• Posting Member
I've been doing this for a few weeks and I've already started losing a few pounds. I know its not muscle loss because I still lift weights (later on in the day. DO NOT LIFT WITHOUT EATING ANYTHING BEFORE) and eat and drink plenty of protein through the day.
I only do cardio for 30 minutes. 20 min continuously and 10 minutes walking which comes up to be 2 miles and about 400 calories for my weight.
I heard that since you sleep all night, you have no carbs to use as energy in the morning. This is when your body uses fat as energy. After fat is protein (muscle).
This is why I take a protein shake before I do my 30 min cardio.
Try and see if it works for you and come back here with the results.
I wonder why the all personal trainers I've talked to in the gym never told me about this. I guess they want their money first.
I was at 240 now im at 229. I've always looked like I'm under 200 and I've ran a 6:30 min mile in my higher weight... I'm 5'10 and I think my ideal weight is 190.

Oh yeah, I measure everything I eat now. I'll try to have 1 or 2 servings of everything now. Like 1 cup of brown rice along with some turkey breast. I also take a protein shake(24 grams) in between meals as a sort of snack.

There is a book called 'Nutrient Timing' I think you would really like. Its all about this topic. Fueling your workouts properly for maximum effect. Your half way there with some protein before training but learning how to use the Glycemic Index and carbohydrates as well as protein will greatly speed up your progress - Its about 10-15 bucks on amazon. Just thought you might be interested! ;)

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
the reasoning behind it is that first thing in the morning, it's been 7-9 hrs at least since you've eaten. so your insulin will be low and your body will have utilized a large portion of its surplus glycogen stores. when glycogen is depleted the body then breaks down muscle & fat to use for fuel.  by timing your cardio like this you're burning a higher % of calories from fat than you would doing your cardio later in the day. the problem is that you still burn muscle.

by supplementing with protein and/or leucine just prior to your cardio you can minimize muscle catabolism without interfering too much with lipolysis...

when trying to lose fat and/or gain muscle: your food intake as well as TIMING of that intake around your workouts can make the difference between good results and great results.

Offline carguy

• Gold Member
  • boobfree 2003!!
I haven't been on here in a while but thank you guys for the new info. I've been busy with school so my weight loss kinda plateau'd. Im back on it though. I will make sure to prepare myself better before cardio in the morning.

edit: btw. i found out my diet wasn't as good as i thought. Im on something new and consistent and seeing better results.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 07:41:41 PM by carguy »

Offline davenport19

With me being a strength athlete my number one goal is to be strong. Plain and simple. However, I'm about 17%bf and i hate it. I have a large about of muscle but its all hid under that 17%. My question is...does am cardio effect strength levels. I want to shed some body fat but i at least want to maintain my current strength levels. I'm not on any anabolic steroids as of right now because of various issues but will start up again in may. I'm 6'2 300lbs.

Offline carguy

• Gold Member
  • boobfree 2003!!
Hey guys. I've been hitting the gym hard. I've lost 15 pounds so far.
Im having the same dilemna davenport. I really want to be strong AND lose body fat. I've asked around and it seems like that doing those two things at the same time is possible but VERY hard. You have to eat very clean. Lean meats and all.
People have been telling me to focus on one thing not both. So Im choosing to lose as much body fat as I can which will cause me to lose some strength but when I get to my goal weight, I will bulk up clean. It sucks losing strength because it takes so long to get it, but it is something you have to sacrifice in the mean time in order to get the look you want. I still lift weights but I notice I'am not as strong as usual. My squat and bench have gone down, which is depressing, but I look a little better(clothes fit better too) from cutting the fat. Im thinking that gaining strength will be easier when i start to clean bulk because of muscle memory, im not sure.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024