Author Topic: Cardio only=Good?  (Read 8215 times)

Offline Dave_8

• Gold Member
I was wondering if any of you know if a cardio workout only is good. 2 years ago when I was a freshman I lost about 25

pounds and lost a lot of fat, I can tell because my face was slimmer and so was my belly. I really lost a good amount of

fat there. Plus it only took me about a month/month and a half to lose it. But recently I'm about to start working out 

again and I've heard that losing a lot of weight is unhealthy. Why is that? Is it because you are losing muscle? I haven't

lifted in a while because I didn't plan on doing football this year, so what's the point of lifting if you aren't already? Any

suggestions?
If you have gyne, dont expect not be laughed at.

Just like if you walk into a locker room, you're gonna see some hairy asses and dicks.

Unfortunately for me, both have occured in my life way too many times.

Offline Jackd

• Silver Member
I'm no expert, so may be wrong.. but heres' what I've learnt from reading so far.

Cardio only isn't good because as you already mentioned, you use muscle as energy as well as fat.

Weight lifting is good because muscle burns X amount of calories even when you're resting.. so that means the more muscle you have the more calories you burn whilst resting and as you're building muscle and eating a protein rich diet, then you'll burn fat rather than muscle...

The best is a combination of both... weight lifting 3 times a week, low reps high weights. Stick to 6 compound moves per workout, around 45minutes long. Deadlift, Squats, Bench Press, Bent Over Row etc etc etc. And then 2 times a week do some HIIT or tabata.. google them for the full run down on how it works, but HIIT is basically jog for 30 seconds, sprint for 30 seconds, repeat for X amount of time. Tabata is slightly different but same theory. This keeps the workout short and intense which improves cardiovascular endurance without eating muscle. It works with most exercies... running, swimming, cycling, rowing, punch bag... etc..

Keep changing your weights routine often too, keeps the body guessing. And diet is just as important as the training itself... something I've found out and am struggling with, I am so bad at sticking to a clean diet!

Hope that helps a bit. And if anyone notices I've said something compltely wrong, feel free to correct me, as I say, I'm no expert :)

Offline Dave_8

• Gold Member
AHH dude thanks. Even though I was hoping for a yes, cardio is good, but I guess Ima have to start lifting as well.

Offline Jackd

• Silver Member
To be honest mate I forgot to say that "it depends on your goal"

Cardio is by no means bad.

I just forgot that not everyone wants to lose fat and bulk up like I do.

But weight lifting is the way forward if you have access to them... all atheletes, even cardio based sports like running etc do weight training so it's definetly important IMO.

Any exercise is better than no exercise though.. so if your only option is to run.. then run... and do bodyweight exercises (google bodyweight workouts)

Offline Dave_8

• Gold Member
Thanks, yeah I have access to weights, I have a membership at this gym.

Offline charlie1821

• Posting Member
Cardio is better than no cardio. Better than nothing.

Offline Dave_8

• Gold Member
That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Offline GB07

• Posting Member
You Dave_8

I agree with Jackd. Both will help greatly. I know your not that fussed on lifting weights because your not playing football which is cool but it is worth keeping them in your workout becuse as JackD says this will help to boost your metaboliosm. He is also right about heavy weights and low repititions, this will help you bulk up...however this may not be your goal to be massive, if your after just a leaner look i would stick to weights in the 10-12 rep range ALSO you said you aint lifted in a while and IMO if you jump in that heavy your asking for injury, are gonna get wild DOMS (muscle soreness) and get turned off weights real quick before you see any benifits, slow and steady wins the race... again IMo  :)

Offline Dave_8

• Gold Member
Yeah thanks, I started working out a week ago, going to start cardio first, then add little as I go(light weights) don't wanna look like hulk or anything, just some ordinary guy.

Offline davenport19

Cardio 101 - The Facts About Cardio

With 37% of Americans overweight, it's clear that many of us are not following the latest fitness guidelines that prescribe an hour of exercise a day. In fact, there was no doubt a collective groan when people realized they would now have to find an hour each day to do something they can't seem to find 5 minutes for. How important are these guidelines and what can you do to make them fit into your life?

The Simple Facts About Cardio

Before we talk about how much cardio you should do, you should at least know why it's so important. Cardiovascular exercise simply means that you're involved in an activity that raises your heart rate to a level where you're working, but can still talk (aka, in your Target Heart Rate Zone). Here's why cardio is so important:

* It's one way to burn calories and help you lose weight
    * It makes your heart strong so that it doesn't have to work as hard to pump blood
    * It increases your lung capacity
    * It helps reduce risk of heart attack, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and diabetes
    * It makes you feel good
    * It helps you sleep better
    * It helps reduce stress
    * I could go on all day, but you get the point

Bottom line: you need cardio if you want to get your weight under control and get your stress to a tolerable level.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024