Author Topic: Any military / TRICARE members with gynecomastia?  (Read 8033 times)

Offline shen

• Posting Member
Are there any members of TRICARE here that have had or are considering plastic surgery for their gyne?

I am curious if anyone here has had their operation covered by TRICARE. Read the following policy sheet...

http://www.humana-military.com/southmanuals/policy/AsOf/C4S5_7.PDF

"Benefits may be cost-shared for medically necessary medical, diagnostic, and surgical
treatment.
NOTE: Coverage criteria for surgical interventions may include, but is not limited to:
severe gynecomastia (enlargement has not resolved after one year); fibrous tissue stroma
exists;
or breast pain."

Fibrous tissue stroma? Unless you are just "fat", doesn't every case of true gynecomastia have fibrous tissue behind the nipple? To me it seems like the operation should then be covered.

Offline istillgotit

• Posting Member
     I had my first surgery when I was in the US Army.  I was assigned to Ft. Detrick and had the procedure done at Walter Reed.  I had it covered ( 100%) by complaining of the pain, especially when wearing a vest. 

Be cautious if you choose to go this route, some military docs are looking to gain the experience so they will be excited to do the surgery.  The results are another matter.  The doctor that operated on me ( don't remember the name, it was approximately 10 years ago) didn't get all the gland out..........and I am not very happy with one of the incisions.  He used different techniques on each side, almost like an experiment to see which was the best method.

Make sure you research the doc before getting the surgery in the military.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Fibrous tissue stroma? Unless you are just "fat", doesn't every case of true gynecomastia have fibrous tissue behind the nipple?

I'm just curious....  what is your definition of 'True Gynecomastia'. ???

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024